The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

recomended clutch?

hey im a little new to the vr4's but i need to put a new clutch in, any suggestions on what would be a good strong long lasting clutch?

deez

I just had an ACT 2600 put in mine, and I love it. A little stiff at the pedal, but I am getting used to it. I had one by Clutchnet, and it chattered for me. I have heard other people that liked them, but it wasn't for me. My two cents. Thats about what its worth.

Terry Posten

Clutchnet www.clutchnet.com

"Red" sprung 6 puck disc
"Red" 2X pressure plate
New OEM throw-out bearing
New OEM pivot ball
New OEM clutch fork

Will have easy and smooth pedal feel and engagement, and will hold more torque than 95% of the members on here will ever make.

G

Staff member
click They made your oe clutch.

Last edited:

I have an used ACT 2600 that is in good condition that I would sell you for $150.00 plus shipping if you are interested. They work very well in a 4g63 setup.

deez

This has been discussed more than a few times, all with more than a few recommendations and opinions. Good luck, and do a search for some older discussions

4thStroke

If your car is making a good amount of power, twin disc wouldnt be a bad idea. Im sick of getting locked out of 2nd gear until the RPMs wind down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Hey Spencer, Travis and I get our own clutches made. They're basically an ACT 2600 six puck, un-sprung hub. It takes a special kinda person to live with DD a clutch like that. Its got a somewhat heavy pedal feel and a little chatter from time to time. I've been using un-sprung clutches for a few years so I can drive around perfectly fine. If you're interested, let me know, I can set you up.

4thStroke

Thanks for the offer, Nick, but my clutch only has 1100 miles on it now. Its an ACT2600 PP with their sprung 6 puck.

PM me whatever it is they are selling for and I'll keep it in mind for future reference, should this come up again.

i have a ACT 2900 but right after i bought the car it took a sh*t on me so im nt even driving it right now, i have the T-case off and i disabled the drive shaft, everything is disconnected ff the trans, im almost there, just have no idea what clutch i want.

brisvr4

Quoting Terry Posten:
Clutchnet www.clutchnet.com

"Red" sprung 6 puck disc
"Red" 2X pressure plate
New OEM throw-out bearing
New OEM pivot ball
New OEM clutch fork

Will have easy and smooth pedal feel and engagement, and will hold more torque than 95% of the members on here will ever make.

+1 I love mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belize1334

Just installed my Clutchnet 6-puck w/ Red 2x pp. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet (waiting on a new oil filter) but just working the pedal the clutch seems VERY light on the foot. Much lighter than my ACT 2100. For those of you who've run this clutch, did you have the same experience with the extremely light pedal feel?

I had my gf work the pedal while I watched the slave and it's DEFINITELY moving the fork and I could even see the TOB moving inside the bell-housing so I presume it's working properly. I'll update when I get her off of the JSB list.

mitsu90

I recommend a spec clutch. I have used and abused mine for 3 years and it takes what ever I throw at it

stage 2+
l_56eb69be45c34c3585cd82e46ac7a099.jpg

l_529f251f2cdc4ef3bc7d4a5aa33a5523.jpg

1qkfwd

I've never heard of clutchnet in the 8 yrs of messing with dsm's. They may be good be who knows. The act clutch is tryed and proven to be one of the best Dsm clutchs out there. I would not go with a twin disc unless you are making huge power. For our cars they are not DD material. They will end wearing out the splines of the input shaft. Depending on your power an act 2600 or 2900 will do just fine. Take weight into consideration but I ran my 2600 with a sprung 6-puck up to 600 hp before it let lose. That was a 2950 lb car expect that number to be a bit lower on a gvr4 because the added weight.

belize1334

^^ I'm not asking for advice on which clutch to get. I already have the clutch. I was asking for the opinion of those who had run this clutch as to weather this behavior is normal. Please read my post before responding to it.

brisvr4

My clutch pedal with the Clutchnet seemed to be lighter than stock.
It did worry me too but worked just fine till I killed it.
I'm now pretty certain that I probably overheated it causing premature wear and chipping on the pucks.
All up it lasted about 3000km. I did beat on it pretty bad though!

Last edited:

1qkfwd

Maybe you should make your own thread then because that response was not for you. I was replying to the op. He asked for a good clutch and I threw out my .02 cents.

belize1334

^^ In retrospect I probably should have started a new thread. I came upon this one searching for related info and it seemed simpler just to respond. Regardless, the original post was over 5 months ago and didn't mention Clutchnet at all so if you weren't talking to me then why'd you bring it up?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned