The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4ws

Hello everyone.
I have a problem with my 4ws. It goes like this . I have a 92 galant vr4 e84a and i took it to a vtnz for a wof. They had a look at the 4ws and have said that my rear wheels need to steer in order to get my wof yet they dont know why it isnt steering via all 4 wheels which is pretty much my question. Hope i have explained it well enough for someone to help me please
why wont my rear wheels steer (turn) with the front wheels ? and being a 4wd, 4ws shouldnt they all turn together all the time ?
any help would be greatly appreciated as im gona be stuck for a warrant if i cant get this sorted
Thanks to all who have any suggestions.

turbowop

I don't know what a vtnz or a wof is, but I can tell you that 4WS doesn't kick in until 31mph or so. So unless they tested it while the car was at or above that speed, they won't see any movement out of the rear wheels. Even then, the rears only turn a few degrees same phase as the fronts. There is info all over the 'net that explains how the Mitsu 4WS works. Google it, print off the info, and take it into whomever these vtnz guys are.

misterfixit

'wop

I believe the E84 operates differently.

Still waiting for the definition of a WOF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rich

turbowop

Oh, I only noticed the year. WTF is an E84? I still think it probably operates the same, seeing as how all the Mitsus from that era seem to. Even the 3000gt/GTO operates in a similar manner, no?

sorry bout that guys.
in new zealand a car has to under go a check every 6 months to ensure it is safe and in good working order. I dont know everything they check but they are ment to do a vigorous check of all parts of the car lights etc and pass or fail the car for saftey check on what ever they find to be unsafe.
This is called a wof Warrant of fitness
i failed the test due to them saying the rear wheels must steer so now that i know that they dont kick in untill later then i can go back to them and say to them that this is so cause at the same time they couldnt say why it wasnt steering?
Thanks for the info guys and i know it is all over the net but it is hard for me to filter out the parts that apply to me and my problem without reading pages of irrelevant info for my case.
Thanks again

wof is short for warrant of fitness
vtnz is short for vehicle testing new zealand

in new zealand a car is subject to a wof check every 6months or so to ensure it is safe to drive on the road.

fuel

E84A = 7th generation Galant VR-4 with 2.0L 6A12 twin turbo V6 engine and 4WS. The 4WS system still works the same as the E39A one. Tell VTNZ that the 4WS only operates above 50km/h unless they can prove otherwise. Personally myself I would just take it somewhere else, VTNZ can be really idiotic to deal with at times!

misterfixit

The E84 system is much more electronic based. I noticed you are having issues with the abs too.

My brotherinlaws BB2 prelude had similar issues with the 4ws. It turned out when checking it over a wheel speed sensor had gone down. This latched the light on and locked out the 4ws.

I guess if you are having issues with both i'd start looking at the sensing system. I have the complete tech manual back in the uk (bang head) however here I have the shop manual and the tech manual electronically in german.

Have you exhausted the pssobilities with the inspection people yet?

Rich

my 4ws light just seems to come on for a while then turn off for a while like 10mins and it will just come on then 10mins later it will turn off and it will do this continually however the abs light will just stay on permanently. I have replaced the abs pump unit and the sensors are the next thing on my list to try before going back to the shop and letting them do it. I just wanted to try do things my self first to save a penny and im really paranoid about the auto sparky's taking me for a ride as i dont know much about these problems which is half the reason im trying to find out more

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts