The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rarity Among VR4's?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have both sunroof and non. 91 is a non-sunroof car. I daily the 92 with sunroof, and do appreciate it most of the time. I use it and a cracked window on all but the hottest days for good airflow. I even have working R12 a/c in both cars.

prove_it

Oh yea, me too. R12 with the windows open sunroof open and ac on max, damn it feels good on a hot day. I can't stand feeling "couped" up in a car while driving. Plus with the windows open I get a better whiff of E85 at stops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

EfiniX

Quoting MellowVR4:
I know defently the NON sunroof vr4's are rare'er.

EHMotorsports has one without a sunroof. He just painted it and it looks amazing!

Drew84

Yeah 801 is a non Sunroof car. What's considered rust? 801 has some surface rust under the car I'm going to por15 over and seal up. But no body rot.

JCorbo25

Quoting prove_it:
My KG sunroof with the factory double din cd player and sunroof was only 78 made...

I guess I have a sister car of yours. KG Sunroof factory double din CD. Mine has zero rust and still going strong at 230k+.

I love my sunroof and have determined that I won't buy a car without one. After installing Evo SSL front seats, I don't have any headroom issues.

gtluke

Mine has a sunroof, and it's green, and it's a 91, so I think it's the most common vr4 ever.
But it runs, I drove it like 50 something miles today like I do most days. It has some rust but not bad.
Oh and I welded my sunroof in place and sealed it shut. It didn't leak, but that moonroof contraption weighs like 40 pounds and that weight is in the worst possible spot in an automobile. Makes the car handle much better with that weight removed. But then I put a roofrack on it, negating that.

prove_it

You can better handling by using a better tire. Sure the weight is on top, but between my sunroof car and non sunroof vr4. I never noticed a difference.

turbowop

Not to mention the fact that what most of us do with our cars doesn't really justify sunroof removal. I'm not out on the track for hours everyday, so I think I'll keep my extra weight in the roof. It doesn't hurt the performance of cruising it around town on a sunny Sunday afternoon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

Or during that quick sprint to 140 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gtluke

Quoting prove_it:
You can better handling by using a better tire. Sure the weight is on top, but between my sunroof car and non sunroof vr4. I never noticed a difference.

What better tire am I getting other than RE01R's on FD RX7 rims?

can't find it now, but when the evo RS came out, they compared using the aluminum roof on that car to lowering it 1.5", it had the same effect on the center of gravity.
The moonroof is heavy, like REAL heavy. In the worst spot possible (other than being installed on your tires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Last edited:

turbowop

Anybody so worried about performance that something as silly as the sunroof is ruining the handling of the car, should probably be driving something a bit more performance oriented anyway. I can think of a million reasons why our noodly chassi'd cars fall short in handling performance well before the sunroof becomes an issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gtluke

Quoting turbowop:
Anybody so worried about performance that something as silly as the sunroof is ruining the handling of the car, should probably be driving something a bit more performance oriented anyway. I can think of a million reasons why our noodly chassi'd cars fall short in handling performance well before the sunroof becomes an issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Like what? M3? GTR Skyline? STI? EVO?
Because those are just some of the cars that couldn't touch me at the last autocross.
My chassis is rock solid. It started out good and I made it better.
click

Hey man, if you aren't interested in driving your GVR4 fast, that's fine. I am. And if you want to drive fast, take the 50 pound pendulum out of the roof.

Last edited:

gtluke

Quoting Racah15:
If I wanted to upgrade my handling, I wouldn't get rid of my sunroof. I'd put in a "fixed" evo rear diff. Try that on for handling.

I have an evo2 rear end and transmission.
Get up to speed, or quit it with your nonsensical non informed advice. Thanks guys.

gtluke

From Mitsubishi on the EIGHT pound savings from the MR roof. The moonroof is easily 45 pounds in a gvr4.

"The aluminum roof yielded a 3 mm reduction in the height of the vehicle’s center of gravity and a 1.3% reduction in roll. These benefits are equivalent to those that would be yielded by a 70 mm reduction in the roof height of a vehicle with a steel roof...

"Adoption of an aluminum roof yielded a 45% weight savings over the conventional steel roof, resulting in handling-stability improvements that cannot be achieved by means of regular suspension and tire tuning."

Back of the envelope math would show that a moonroof delete would have the same effect on handling as lowering the car almost 4 inches. I know you ricers lower your cars for looks, but there was a function to lowering a car before STANCEWORKS BRO

turbowop

Maybe you're just way better at autocross than the guys driving those other cars.

I bet you'd be just as fast if your GVR4 had a sunroof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

Calm down GTluke.

No one here is discrediting the fact that a lower center of gravity and reduced weight will increase handling dramatically. Also your constanly arguing, "one the track", "at the auto-x". Yes, a solid roof would be better. Does that mean that a sunroof car will get lapped by everything? No. I'm sure part of the reason your kicking butt at events has more to do with your driving skill than just the car. Right? I always say, the driver makes the car, not the car that makes the driver. Hell my 89 civic hatch on 185 street tires and 130whp would put 3-5 seconds on vettes with slicks.

We've been discussing STREET cars, cars that are driven daily, your typical car. NOT race car only cars. I have a sunroof, I still lap cars. I've also seen plenty of sunroof, t-top, and convertibles hauling ass and beating out solid roof cars.

In a pure race car, you'd be stupid to have a a sunroof, it's a safety issue during a crash and a big handicap. I'm sure Wop agrees with that. We don't have pure racecars though. We like to drive, cruise, and race. Does that mean we should strip the car, cage it, put in lexan windows, delete the whole HVAC just so when we race it we are set-up?

No, I'm too old for that. I like to see the sky. Always will.

prove_it

Quoting gtluke:
Back of the envelope math would show that a moonroof delete would have the same effect on handling as lowering the car almost 4 inches. I know you ricers lower your cars for looks, but there was a function to lowering a car before STANCEWORKS BRO

Oh and that's a pretty rude statement to make on this site.
I seriously have not seen a single "ricer" on this site. I'm surprised that someone with your post counts would even say that.

Unless your saying a sunroof makes you a ricer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

gtluke

Well, you guys keep talking to me like I don't know wtf I'm doing. This is a street car. This is the highest mileage gvr4 EVER as far as I can tell. I'm telling you, from someone who has been daily driving a gvr4 for 13 f***ing years that having 45 pounds in your roof makes the car roll more, and handle worse. Keep it if you want it, I loved having it. I miss it. but don't tell me that it doesn't improve handling, you don't know what you are talking about.

prove_it

No ever said it makes no difference, and no one said you don't know what your doing.
I never noticed a difference though, in stock form anyway. I drove 1284(non sunroof) for 5 years 45k miles daily. I'm still driving 715(sunroof car) for 4 years now, and about 35k miles. I never noticed enough difference to miss my solid roof. I finally modded the suspension with evo kybs/robispec springs with tein upper plates, 26mm rear sway bar with a 4bolt rear. To me it feels solid, like driving on rails. I'd like a little more entry oversteer, but hell it will turn hard. I think I'm wearing into the door panel with my knee.

I will say that deleting the sunroof is better, but your still missing some of the structure that ties the car together. I don't believe in deleting a roof.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned