The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rarity Among VR4's?

JamesFoster

Me too. Sunroof=win for driving around with no A/C in SoCal.

slugsgomoo

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Earlier in the year, we found out that there are less than a 1000 VR4s that had tags on them. So I bet there are less than 200 that can currently drive and are rust free

Wasn't that based on registrations? My car registration was expired since 6/2007 until recently, so mine wouldn't have been in that thousand, and was JSB but it is rust free. I'm guessing more of the thousand are drivers than you'd think. It's the other 2008 that are crushed/wrecked/jsb/etc.

Also, rare or not, I don't like the non-sunroof cars. Had a BG 91 with no sunroof; fail! KG + sunroof > *

Unless you're doing a factory correct resto, who gives a sh*t what the stereo option was as far as I'm concerned.

LIV4PSI

Tags=registration. I agree that most of those 1000 are drivers and run, but I bet 4/5 have rust.

I bought 1501 because it was a hard top, but I think most people prefer the sunroof. I think the hardtop models look better, and I would rarely use the sunroof if I had it

turbowop

The "hardtop" and sunroof models look the same to me. Except of course when the sunroof is angled open. About the only difference I see is the lack of headroom in the sunroof models, which I can then understand taller peoples wanting a car without it. And the extra weight that some people may not like. Otherwise, I don't really understand the difference in aesthetics I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

LIV4PSI

Even with the sunroof closed, it's still visible. I think it looks cleaner without it. On the inside, non-sunroof models have the dome light where it should be, and no ugly, bulky sunroof controls. That makes the interior look cleaner as well. The roofs tend to rust out on sunroof models, so that is another thing I like. Both cars I have parted out had rotted roofs.

My 2g had a sunroof and I never used it, and honestly I don't know why. I know I'm the minority. Belize green is also my least favorite color, and it is the favorite of many people

Last edited:

turbowop

Maybe it's because I was more used to the sunroof stuff in 1051, but I hated the dome light in 503 (non sunroof) when I owned it. I guess I just preferred the front location on the sunroof car instead of having to reach above and behind me to turn it on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif The ceiling also always seemed so plain compared to the one in 1051.

I think belize green is probably the most disliked color of the four, actually. It's a beautiful color when it's in good shape. But it looks way worse than the others when oxidized and old, IMO. And that's how most of these cars are at this point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SmoothCustomer

Quoting BpuVR4:
Quoting Number680:
Mine has cloth interior. I guess it must have been re-upholstered at some point?

damn...that sucks. i actually think the VR4 has my favorite interior out of any car under $100k in recent memory. Thats with a non flaking steering wheel of course.

Really? It looks nice but those seats are garbage.

LIV4PSI

Quoting turbowop:
I think belize green is probably the most disliked color of the four, actually. It's a beautiful color when it's in good shape. But it looks way worse than the others when oxidized and old, IMO. And that's how most of these cars are at this point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kensington Grey is the same way. I never liked the way it looked, and it was my least favorite until recently. That was until I saw the KG car at the Shootout that had been resprayed. The color looked totally different

strokin4dr

BG has been my favorite color since getting into the vr4's in '04 or so. I still prefer the non-sunroof cars overall. I probably wouldn't have bought my current vr4 if it had a sunroof. True story. So much sleeker and cleaner looking without!

omertaitalia

ya same here, when i saw 435 i fell in love, with the sunroof my head rubs the headliner (I'm 6'3) but the non sunroofs i have plenty of room. now i just need to repaint mine
edit* BELIZE GREEN FTW

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Earlier in the year, we found out that there are less than a 1000 VR4s that had tags on them. So I bet there are less than 200 that can currently drive and are rust free

I'm one of those few that are rust free tagged, non sunroof cars that moves under it's own power and is daily driven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

jnava

Staff member
Rust free YO. Daily ...well not until I get the odyssey.

fuel

mine was just about fully optioned by the first owner in JDM land (parcel shelf air purifier, window guards, door handle protectors etc) but the sunroof option is what I really want! My 7G and 8Gs have had sunroofs and always liked them.

prove_it

My KG sunroof with the factory double din cd player and sunroof was only 78 made... I have no rust on the body, just clear coat peeling. Underbody is rusty.

I love the sunroof. It's open every day down to 20*F. I love the feel of fresh air without it blowing on you directly like the front windows do when open. In reality, it doesn't add that much weight or decrease in body rigidity as much as people think. It still drives great, handles great and I love this car more than the the 91 NB hardtop I had.

I'm with Wop, sunroofs are nice. Feels more open and roomy with the shade open or the window open. I do get a ton of window buffeting when just the sunroof is open though. Anyone else have that issue?

prove_it

Huh, my VW passat won't, neither does any of our Acuras. Always thought it was just my car. I'd like to know if a visor makes a difference.

EHmotorsports

My 93 S4 did that at about 45mph but I just cracked the back window.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned