The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Radiator Fan Replacement

Chad989of2000

Searched and found random answers and feedback. Looking to replace the stock rad fan since the shrouding is a bit haggard and I want to clean up the engine bay a bit. I have a slimline in 989 and it worked fine, but I've heard mixed reviews. Does anyone have any great personal experience with a specific model of aftermarket fan that serves the purpose of daily and some track time to replace my gnarly stock one?

BluFalcon

I've been using a Flex A Lite Fan made for a Honda Civic in my GVR4 the last couple of months. It's replaced the OEM fan on the passenger side. I rewired it with the OEM fan wiring harness and mounted it up using the brackets that were included with the fan. I bypassed the resistor on the OEM fan by removing the resistor and joining the two wires at the plug. The top bracket needed to be notched to clear the water neck and I had to use aluminum strap to make brackets for the bottom mount points. I like this fan because it includes an integrated shroud and has a rubber seal on the mating face of the fan. It's pricier than a generic slimline fan, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Last edited:

No personal experience with them yet but I just ordered an 11 inch low profile spal that flows around 900 cfm. Its only 2.05 inches thick which is what I needed because I am so limited on space in that area.

I will probably get another one for the other side for a max flow of about 1800 cfm from those two fans. Then I have the oem fan in front of my ac condensor, I'll put one of the spals on a switch so I can turn it on whenever. These three fans with the vented hood should give me plenty of cooling.

Spal website

specs pdf

boostedinaz

I have used Spal fans in the past and they worked better than expected. I had a cheaper fan on my Talon before the Spals and the heat from the turbo, and possibly the AZ summer, started to melt the plastic enough that the fan started to pull itself into the radiator. Luckily I caught it before I ruined my Fluidyne and decided to buy some Spals. They worked perfetly for 2 years after that when I sold the car.

^+1 on the SPAL size commonly used on our cars.
I made a thread about this, and recieved sh*t for help really.

boostedinaz

On Spals website they have very detailed measurments of all their fans. My Talon and #3 are highly modified so I had to find a fan that fit in a very tight space.

Quoting AnotherNewb:
What size spals fit the best?

The biggest size you can fit in there, you want to move the most air you can. I bought a ten inch and it was too small so I sent it back for an 11 inch. You might be able to get away with a 12 inch and a 11 inch. Maybe two 12's, definitely two 11's. Go out and measure your radiator, or even cut out a 12" diameter circle in cardboard if you have to so you can be sure that they will fit.

All of spals low profile series are 52 mm (2.05 in) in depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned