The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Parking brake cables

JBrendel

I know the factory parking brake cables have been discontinued for a while now and was looking for alternatives. All of the aftermarket versions from raybestos and Cardone are also no longer being made. Looking at the fwd versions they look very similar from the specs but about 5" longer. The only thing I can't tell for sure is if the cable end on the caliper side is the same. Has anyone tried using these before?

JBrendel

I decided to take the chance and ordered a set of the fwd cables. So far from what I can tell the ends and cable vs housing length will work. Now I just have to find a way to route the cables under the car to deal with the extra 5" of length in cable.

gvr4ever

Let me know how it works out. I ordered an actual Mitsubishi e-brake cable 4-5 years ago for the drivers side. It's sad to see how hard it is to support these cars. Mitsubishi needs to start reproducing parts to support the platform that got them on the map in the first place. 1G DSMs, 2Gs, and Galant VR4s.

JBrendel

I will keep updating this thread as I go. I have found out that the fitting that goes through the body is a different size but I should be able to swap it from an old set of dsm cables. I'm also looking into shortening them and using a swag to put the caliper end on like is factory instead of the soldered on end

raptorWagon

Let me know how it works out. I ordered an actual Mitsubishi e-brake cable 4-5 years ago for the drivers side. It's sad to see how hard it is to support these cars. Mitsubishi needs to start reproducing parts to support the platform that got them on the map in the first place. 1G DSMs, 2Gs, and Galant VR4s.
They were already on the map well before dsms and gvr4s, outside of the NA market. Mitsubishi was doing well in Rallies from the 60s-80s well before 6th gen galants, hell the 4g63t was already 7yrs old by the time dohc version came out in 87.

Its like any of the japanese manufacturers, parts for 30+ old vehicles are harder to find now. But i can still get some parts for my 40+ yr old mitsus, you just learn to think outside the box to keep cars driving as well, because Mitsubishi sure as sh*t isn't going to make repop parts themselves.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned