The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

palm pocket logger...temp 260-270 normal?

desant78

Hello GVR4.org

my wiring harness was hacked real bad..and I'm finally at the stage of fixing the thermostat and temp readings. Replaced temp sensor and same readings.

here is my issue.....cold the temp is real low..don't remember off hand sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but warm it is around 260-270...and the dash is 1/4 warm the temp guage.

is this normal? perhaps my palm is not reading super accurate? what kind of temperatures do you guys get with your loggers?

thanks in advance!

Jesh

I don't have a logger but my mechanical temp gauge reads about 180-200F depending on the day. 200-220F if I'm giving the car a good workout, Anything above 220F and I start to worry.

Chicago1

Wow that's running hot. Mine never gets over 220 even driving hard. Are fans coming on? How's your thermostat? Any debris blocking airflow to the radiator?

toybreaker

iconoclast
You might want to check the wires at the t-stat housing to make sure they go to the right places

... I remember posting in a thread about this awhile back ...

[edit] found the threads

Quoting toybreaker:
Quoting desant78:

When i bought 1662, the PO cut all the factory plugs. Does it matter if you switch the yellow wires shown? I might have accidentally done that and that would be causing all my problems of reading 7 to 15degF temps..

For a quick test to sort this out, with the key in the on/run position, take the single wire that runs out to the t-stat and jumper it to ground briefly while someone watches the temp gauge.

If that is indeed the wire that runs to the gauge, it'll peg the temp gauge on hot.

A few seconds won't hurt anything, but don't leave the wire grounded for long, as it will eventually piss off the resistors that make up the wheatsone bridge inside the gauge, and that will affect it's accuracy.

If that wire really belongs in the two pin set that runs out to the ecu, the temp gauge won't move.

... and have made other posts on this as well, including this one;

Quoting toybreaker:
An easy way to check for crossed green/yellow wires at the temp senders is to ohm out the wires.

The yellow/green wire at the two pin connector in the engine compartment runs out to the ecu at terminal #20.

The green with black wire from the two pin connector goes over to the ecu at ecu terminal #24

The other yellow/green wire from the single pin connector only goes to the gauge in the instrument panel.

Have you verified the wiring is correct?

Last edited:

Jesh

Have you changed the length of the wires going to the temp sensor? This will affect tempature readings as well.

mitsuturbo

I believe there is a well known and documented issue with the temp readings on some PalmOS based logging software. Google may be something you want to turn to for this issue. If a search yields some results, you have your answer. Otherwise, please continue to post here describing your scenario. Temps that high pretty much guarantee you're going to "boil over" regardless of what mixture of coolant/water you're running.

desant78

hey everybody the help has been great....

toybreaker - i started trying to resolve this issue between finals week in school and I think i lost track of what I tried to do/any advice. that being said thank you (for the help again) and I will check back with your resutlts.

i have ran my car for about 20 min at a time at the so called "260" and the engine starts n runs normal so i am assuming it is wrong...thank you everyone for the help I will report back with any progess

desant78

Thanks Toybreaker!

Along with Toybreakers comments and the ecu pin out I found I was apparently never grounded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif there are two "black and green" wires, but only one of them was a ground I needed.

Thank you everyone for the help...now onto the next issue.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif....I am currently researching the form for possible solutions as to not flood gvr4.org with problems without trying to be proactive in finding my own solutions

once again everyone thanks for the help and patience!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned