The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Overheating

Illinoisinc

What is the timing supposed to be at??

G

Staff member

Illinoisinc

BTDC??? what does that mean?

******** UPDATE*******

I took the radiator cap off last night while it was running and you can tell there was a lot of bubbles coming
up from the radiator. I basically did that till it flowing through normal.

Drove it for about an hour and at a red light it started overheating till I would boost and you'll see the temp
drop back to normal ( What the hell lol )

what can that be? is it the head gasket?

CutlassJim

BTDC = before top dead center = advanced. So your base timing should be 5* advanced.

Burping the system is a necessity. If you drove around moving for an hour and the car didn't overheat then it seems fine. If it overheated when you stopped then something is wrong with your cooling fans.

By when you "boosted" do you mean while still at a stop or just when you started driving again?

Illinoisinc

oh gotcha bro.

also by boostin means that I was moving.

and my fan is moving. I literally was watching it move when I was burping the system

transparentdsm

is it overheating on a logging system where you can read actual temp numbers? i had a bad sensor once that would show all kinds of different readings, but with some logging software i found out it was the sensor and not the motor.

if there was trapped in the system that can also cause it to read high because he air trapped will be hotter then the coolant that is flowing through. when you got to the light there still could have been air in the system and its hitting the air pocket at the sensor. id say burp and fill the system one more time.

Illinoisinc

Gotcha. I will def do it again today.

also it was def overheating. I saw the reservoir water get pushed out.

Illinoisinc

Thank you bud ill check it right now

MellowVR4

If you don't have a 180 thermostat in their then that would cause the temps to go up like that. OR if you have a bad stat to begin with, what brand of thermostat do you have inside?

Illinoisinc

Autozone stat and 180 stat?

MellowVR4

I personally don't like to cheap out on the thermostat with these motors. go to napa and buy a good altrom brand, I believe the part# is 1542903

Illinoisinc

thanks! I appreciate it. I will then

gvr4ever

Quoting iceman69510:
Tell them it's not a DSM. Truth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I called them about three years ago and they had stopped working on the GVR4. They have gone higher end. No time for old cars.

gvr4ever

Quoting MellowVR4:
I personally don't like to cheap out on the thermostat with these motors. go to napa and buy a good altrom brand, I believe the part# is 1542903

+1

A cheaper one opened late on my car and warped the head. Stop driving it till you get the problem taken care of or you will likely warp the head.

Illinoisinc

I am really not driving it. I am just turning it on to figure out the issue....

Illinoisinc

So I changed the water pump and I have to say it was fun!!! lol especially the timing part lol learned a lot this weekend about the DSM world lol.

also it still overheated and its time to change the head gasket. I shall change the HG this weekend. lol

please wish me luck lol I will need it

transparentdsm

good luck and if you need help just ask. its a shame, should have done the gasket when you did the waterpump. you have to take it all back apart again.

Illinoisinc

Thank you bro I truly appreciate it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned