The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Opinions on a Welded Center Diff

sublimesnfu

May end up getting a Shep Stage 3 trans with a welded center diff and was wondering if anyone could offer some insight/experiences into what it is like driving with one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. It will be going in my DD which is city driven.

92_talon_awd

What happened to this thread? click

manikbastrd

Chirp Chirp Chirp...Those were not crickets. Those were you taking any kind of close turn in town.

sublimesnfu

For some reason I couldn't see that thread the org was acting up on my system and couldn't tell if the post had gone through.

prove_it

Welded center diffs are a huge pita to parallel park, or turn in a parking lot without looking like your car is broken. Also if you don't have power steering, you'll hate the car so much you'll be parting it out right away.

matt92vr4

Maybe I'm getting old now, but I would never DD a welded diff again. It sucks.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting prove_it:
you'll hate the car so much you'll be parting it out right away.

The words of every VR-4/DSM owner at some point in their life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

diambo4life

Rather drive a car with a welded CD than drive one with a regular spider and always wondering when the stupid thing will grenade on me. If you track your car a lot...this is really not an option unless you're putting a 4 spider in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Olson

You mean drag not track. Track implies track days on a road course

Coltsfan

I ran a TRE center spool in my Colt for a while, and the most annoying thing to me was how it would screech to a halt anytime I tried to coast into my driveway apron. Maybe with an automatic it would be less irritating, but don't ever try to push the car.

EMX5636

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I have a side note (two actually) that has to do with this picture. A buddy bought a trans with a "welded" center diff and all they did was weld the side gears in the diff to the end gears. Made it a nice 1 piece unit to remove, lol but no stronger than a 2-spider diff. The other trans was a customer of mine, who only had a welded diff because it got so freaking hot in there, that the top hat of the diff welded itself to the output shaft of the diff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

mitsuturbo

I'd much rather have a 4 spider than a welded CD, but given the options of welded vs 2 spider, i think i'd go with welded.

MDK87

Olsen, I'm assuming a locked centre diff would worsen the understeer already prevalent in our cars. Do you agree?

I just bought a dogbox which came with a centre spool.
I intend to use the car on the road and keep it as nimble as possible around corners.
It looks like I'll be ditching the spool and have to fork out for a PPG centre diff casing and TMZ internals.

One of my friends broke a 4 spider centre (OEM machined) and that's why I wanted to use the spool but I think overall, driveability would become pretty nasty. The planetary gears didn't fail, or the cross-shaft, the actual top hat of the diff casing broke off clean. I can't remember how much torque his engine is putting out but it's a quick little CD9A.
I just hope the PPG case will be stronger.

Last edited:

Olson

You are right that it would only make it worse. But if people are into making there car handle like a 4x4 then by all means do it.

92_talon_awd

Some people treat their cars like a 4x4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Olson

Hey if you want to go 4x4'ing and like driving well in a stright line more power to the ya. Not my cup of tea i like to turn left and when i feel frisky i might turn right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

turbowop

Last summer when I autocrossed my car for IMSCC I expected it to handle like sh*t due to the welded center diff, but it did surprisingly well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4Grim

I have a welded center diff on mine since 2005 and never really had any issues or complaints about it. Then again...the car barely sees "city driving" as most of the driving is rural and highway type of roads.

362Ryan

Quoting turbowop:
Last summer when I autocrossed my car for IMSCC I expected it to handle like sh*t due to the welded center diff, but it did surprisingly well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

No way. Stoping spreading these myths. Next you will probably claim that putting an Evo plate LSD in the rear will not increase understeer.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned