The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Pressure

14u2nV

Just got my Oil Pressure gauge hooked up, and it's bouncing right around 40 at idle. Is this right, or what should it be? When rev'd it shoots to 100, that ok? I've never had oil pressure gauges and don't know what's right and wrong.

14u2nV

No BSE, engine is fairly warm, oil is 10w40 but has a little seafoam in it, so it's not as thick. Sensor is where the stock one was.

Struc

Sounds high. Usually at idle I see around 20, and around 80psi on the highway. On a cold startup, yeah, it pegs it at over 100, but that's to be expected.

14u2nV

port it? I unscrewed the stock sensor, screwed in the new one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Adorsey is talking about the oil pressure relief valve that is inside the oil filter housing. Lots of people port the outlet to reduce the maximum oil pressure the engine will see. Although most people do this if they have the BSE. I'm also surprised at your pressures.

14u2nV

oic. what about the pressure concerns you? it bounces between 30-40 while idling. When I got the engine, the guy said it had been rebuilt by him due to timing failure. It's out of a 90, I swapped the 90 filter housing for a later dsm housing.

Last edited:

Don't count out an innaccurate gauge. What brand is it? My Stewart Warner had me worried when it was reading 10 psi at an 1100 RPM idle. I hooked up a snap-on mechanical and it showed 30 psi at 1100 RPMs.

Struc

FWIW, Marshall is the gauges I have for Water Temp, Oil Pressure, and Fuel Pressure.

They seem like good products.

thecman02

Mine reads 15psi when the oil is completely up to temp at idle. That's with BSE, and the guage inline with the turbo feed line. A little low, but not really all the uncommon compared to numbers I've seen on DSMTUNERS. Those numbers were with an electronic Autometer Gauge.

vtecds1

Mine reads between 6-12(maybe 10-12 it`s been so long))at start and idle. I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that the stock pressure should be around 10-20psi?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned