The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Official Hello - 474/1000

matt92vr4

Hello everyone, I've been on for a little bit but have never actually introduced myself. My name is Matt and I have an addition problem with Mitsubishi. My addiction problem started October 10, 1996 when I purchased my first vr4...3000GT vr4 (yeah the "other" vr4's lol). I had just upgraded from my first car which was a Geo Metro so needless to say it was a bit different. It was a lot of firsts for me. My first Mitsu, first turbo car, first AWD car, first car I took to the drag strip, etc. I remember my first test drive where I instantly fell in love with Mitsu/turbo/AWD. After the first time I blew it up I couldn't afford to pay someone else to fix it, so I was forced to learn to do it myself! I owned this car for 6 years and lightly modded ran a best of 12.5@110. I also met one of my best friends and old roommate while I had this car. Some of you may know him JohnTsi from a bunch of forums. His DSM put down over 1000AWHP and is retarded. I also was able to spend a little time with the Weir's and their beasts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Very nice guys.
matt92vr4.jpg

I had another non turbo 3S at the same time but I will not waste any bandwidth posting a pic of that. My next car was a Dodge Stealth RT/TT. This one was a little more modded and went a best of 11.2@129. I loved this car and hated to see it go, but my wife and I had a baby. Babies don't fit well in the back of 3S's so it had to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I had this one from 2002 to 2008. I'm sure you can see how this leads up to the Galant...
newsig.jpg

...but before that...at the same time I had the Stealth I got a job working at 3SX. It was a blast modding and tuning all of the cars. I was able to spend about 1000 hours on the dyno during this time. The best part about working there was being part of the race team. Chris Hill, myself, and Bret Brinkmann, (along with the company $$) was able to go 9.2@159 in "T4" and put down 995 AWHP
3sxt4.jpg

I had a few others here and there. If you have 20 minutes to kill and feel like a good laugh you can watch these vids of us blowing up my wifes non turbo Stealth (twin turbo'd later of course) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
click
click

So after my wife and I had kids we decided it was time to pack up and move back home to Florida to be near family. We sold all of the cars and bought a minivan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

After spending time around 3S's and DSM's (Yes I know Galants are not DSM's!!) I knew that the 4G63 platform was superior over the 6G72. I still love 3S's and always will, but I knew deep down that I would eventually have to jump ship and head over to the dark side. I now need 4-doors, so I have the perfect excuse. And now that I own a G-VR4 I can say that it is superior in all aspects except two:

Highway cruising - The 3S cruises at 120 at about 3000rpm and feels like 70. The Galant is screaming and holding on for dear life lol. BTW, is there anyway to put a taller 5th gear in these things?????

Looks - well technically this is an opinion...but...really...

Anyways, I searched for the perfect Galant for over two years and I was so excited to find it July 2011. I wanted a 92, white, unmolested, sunroof, southern car. I really didn't think I would find one that met all of those requirements but I was very blessed and did. My wife was so excited she bought it for me literally 5 minutes after I showed her! (Yeah my wife kicks ass. I met her at the dragstrip) We found 474/1000 in California. White, sunroof, original owner, and 100% stock. I absolutely love her and plan to keep it forever. I've put 5k miles on her so far and she is doing great. This will remain my DD so I will not go too crazy with it. My main goal is to keep it maintained and looking great inside and out. I'd also like to run a mid 12. Shouldn't be too hard. I plan to go Evo3, ECMlinkv3, and supporting.

Her first trip to the track went a 15.7@86. I was pleased with the number in stock form but I gotta say it was a little weird going from a 9.2 to a 15.7. People were looking at me funny lol. Well, I'll also say that the adrenaline and heart pumping was just as much in the galant when I'm at the tree as any other car I've been in.

I don't have a great pic of the galant yet. Here is the best one I have:

So, I am excited to have the Galant, and I am excited to be part of this forum. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys and making new friends. I certainly don't claim to know everything, but hopefully I can be an asset to the forum with the experience I do have. Oh I almost forgot, my Mitsu addition continues also with a Montero that I have plans to Twin Turbo (Dang 6G72 keeps sucking me back in).

Thanks for reading...

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
Welcome.......

Brunoboy

I've always wanted a 3kgt vr4, n yes, ppl put Evo 5th gears for cruising freeways.

minneSNOWta

What's up Matt? Looks like you took care of your Mistu "addition" problem and ended up subtracting a few of them. Equation equals Galant VR-4! Pretty cool to meet the wife at a drag strip might I add.

welcome i envy your collection and maybe your wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif haha

mistaVR4

Glad you're here! Very nice 3K VR4's. It's obvious you know what your doing, you won't be sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just study the 4G63 if you haven't already...

-Steve

matt92vr4

Thanks guys I'm glad to be here. I'm a little lost working on the stock engine. I've never worked on one with anything smaller than a GT30 haha. My next thing is gonna be fuel pump (rewired), MBC, gutted cat and then back to the track.

I guess eventually I'll remove the balance shafts, replace water pump, oil pump, timing belt. When do I need to put in head bolts and head gasket? I've never worked on one that didn't already have all this done to it. Thanks for your help!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned