The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Noob question for air intake can hacking

Ethan

Hello,

I saw this at DSM in stage 0 mod
Quote:
"Take the whole aircan out of the car, and remove the filter. On the intake side, you will see 2 honeycombs. Remove the lower one. Below it, you will see a large plastic screw set up into the bottom ofthe air canal. Back it out a bit. On the other side of the MAF, there is a star-shaped siliencer, remove it"

And, this at GVR4.org in Free Mod
Quote:
Air Silencer
free
Located behind the Mass Air Flow sensor, there is a paper silencer.
This does help silence the sound of the BOV and turbo some but hurts power.
Take this out.

So, I decide to do that.

And.......

When I saw that, I don't know what to do next and put everything back to it's place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Where is the paper silencer in these post mention? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Sorry for being too Noob. But, can someone help me please?

marvinmadman

Don't modify anything on the MAF. You will regret it. Get a MAFT with a GM MAF.

Ethan

Marvinmadman ---> Ok, thz.

MAFT = MAF Translater. Right?
I saw that words "GM MAF", alot. But, what is that "GM" mean?

RayH

Flip the whole thing around and you'll see it. There's a metal cylinder with paper/cloth vanes folded into it guiding the air out of the MAF. It's been a while but I recall you need to remove the screws holding the MAF to the back of the air canister to get it out.

James

If your car has been owned by other people... There's a good chance these free mods have already been done

DR1665

WTF, guys. Ethan is a newbie from the far side of the planet. Is it that hard to answer his questions? The answer to "How do I hook up a cable to tune?" is not "DSMlink." Just as the answer to "What do I remove to hack my aircan?" is not "GM MAFT." Even though the skills that lead newbies to our community would also help them find the answers they seek with our search utility, when it comes to people in foreign countries, you could at least put a little effort into helping them out. If that's too much to ask, don't even reply, okay? Let the grownups handle the international relations.

Ethan, I'm sorry for the lack of clear answers to your questions lately.

You can totally handle these mods. Pull that air can assembly again and give it another go. This link should help you out immensely. It covers the screw and lower honeycomb. As for the silencer, when you have the air can out of the car, flip it around and look into it from the piping side. If the silencer is still there, you'll see it. It's kind of shaped like a wagon wheel, only more star-shaped. Very similar to an air filter, it's made of a thick paper, with thin metal reinforcements. Check this picture out. (Note: The car pictured is not a Galant.)

aircleaner.gif

Beyond that, if your local laws allow, and you don't mind irreversibly changing part of your car, you can further hack the air can by using a tool (we tend to use a Dremel, but you could use a drill and small hacksaw) to cut away material from the "can" part of the assembly (the part into which the filter and MAF are inserted). Here's an example to give you a better idea what I mean.

IMG_1778.jpg

Also, if you've not heard of it yet, you might want to check out VFAQ. This is old school, covering most of the basics.

Ethan

Thz alot guys!
Especially to Dr1665! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I will try to look for it, again.

Regarding with Air can hack,
I think, I shouldn't do it. Cos, where I live is dusty in the Summer and Winter, and with heavy rain at Rainy season.

I have plan to exchange the air can's place with battery's and do some customization to Horns and Intake line for shorter and smoother air flow.
Anyway, Data logger, removing silencer and 17" wheel, first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MX4

Is your car JDM? Because JDM models didn't come out with the paper silencer part. It's seems only the US models did.

Ethan

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Thz alot MX4. That why I can't find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Ya know, I don't know what the silencer is look like and Mod procedure suggest to remove it. So,.......
(And, I also afraid to make damage to MAS, since it is hard to get a replacement here) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thz u, u save me from confusion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Thanks everyone who try to help me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ethan

Thz, Holeshotmoe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

According to this,
Yes, no silencer in my can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thz, alot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned