The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbonetics VBC confusion

AnotherNewb

Okay, I have been working on my buddies galant VR4 for a while now and we ordered a "turbonetics" VBC off of ebay, I think it is counterfit. It lookes just like the kit that summit racing sells minus 2 90 degree elbows, it came with instructions but no box. Here is the problem, it looks just like a pressue regulator for an air compressor with 3 inlets and one outlet marked with an arrow. I took it apart and there is no ball and spring just a plastic plunger diaphram and spring. I have a vacuum line running from the intake manifold to the inlet side of the BC and a line from the outlet to the WG. It is only making stock wastegate boost no matter how many times I turn the knob. I tried blowing in the inlet side of the BC and only after completely turning the knob out is air able to flow freely. Is this a bleeder type BC? If so, I have it hooked up wrong, don't I. Thanks for the help

Barnes

Might help if you post a pic. I can't really tell what you are talking about from your post.

AnotherNewb

The kit looked identical to this minus the T and 2 90 degree fittings

click

Last edited:

Muskrat

I looked at summit and you're right. It looks like a standard compressed air pressure regulator. This would work similar to a ball and spring type mbc. Air pressure acts on the diaphram, pushing up until it opens to the outlet, the spring acts as a tensioner to press again the diaphram from the other side. The more spring tension, the more air pressure is needed to open the valve.

My first thought is: Which setup do you have? Summit offer's a 0-10, 0-25, and 0-50 regulator. If you're applying more pressure than this, you could damage the regulator, break the diaphram, etc.

Your blow test at least says there isn't a major flaw with the system, but if you have a compressor, some fittings, and a pressure gage hook it up (with low pressure!) and see if it will do anything. My suspision is it's busted and not regulating anything.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

These are the instructions that came with it. What has me thrown off is the dual port WG web page

Instead I have it hooked up like a ball and spring BC With a boost source connected to the inlet and the WG connected to the outlet, one with the arrow.

belize1334

I can't think of a way to make that work with a single port actuator. It seems like the design is that the pressure regulator closes after a maximum pressure is achieved. Below that pressure both ports are "hot" so the wg stays closed due to the spring force. Above that pressure, the lower port pressure continues to rise while the upper remains fixed. This lets a differential build up which eventually opens the gate. With a single port you need to be able to have the regulator closed UNTIL a fixed pressure is reached at which point it opens. I can't see how to use that kit to accomplish it except perhaps as a bleeder valve but a regulator that big would make a huge boost leak as a bleeder valve.

AnotherNewb

Huh, that sucks. What if you took the vent side and ran it into the intake tube, sort of recirculate it. Matt, looks like you need to just buy a good BC and hook the turbonetics one up to pauls air compressor... hehehe

Lowershores or halman are the choices. I'm tied up between the two. Alot of reliable guys run the LSP, which is way cheaper, and swear by it. Alot of people also swear by the halman, which is more expensive, but definitely looks better. So opinions are welcome CG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AnotherNewb

order the lower shores, cheap, good reputation... And tires...

so no one else knows anything about the turbonetics VBC? Really?

belize1334

Quoting AnotherNewb:
What if you took the vent side and ran it into the intake tube, sort of recirculate it.

This is how a bleeder valve should be run anyway. The stock BCS works this way. But, if the leak is big enough it'll make the turbo less efficient as you'll be wasting air back into the intake. In most cases it's insignificant but having never played with that regulator I'd be skeptical.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned