The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Suspension.

92_talon_awd

I'm wanting to replace the tired factory struts in my Galant. I'm looking at the KYB GR2s and the AGXs. I used to have AGXs on my 1g and it was a little too stiff, probably the springs though. I'm seeking advice/reviews from anyone who has or has had either of these struts. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

prove_it

Never ran AGX on the GVR4, but have heard they are stiff. They are the same strut as a 1g though, so if you didn't like them on the 1G, I doubt you'll like them now.

Read up on EVO suspension swaps, they are a cheap alternative. Although the non MR KYB's are stiff. Other than than that, your looking at coilovers. There are not many options available to us.

92_talon_awd

Ok, I'll look into it, thanks!

SteveDSM

I know from experience here as I have had both the AGX and the GR-2s on my GVR4. First off, the AGXs do ride VERY stiff even on stock GVR4 springs, and I had 2 struts blow out on me quickly with those too... I then switched to GR-2s with the Eibach Sportline's for a 1G DSM, and rode MUCH better even being lowered almost 2 inches... BUT keep in mind if you want to lower the car at all, that the spring perch on the rear strut housing actually sits lower on a 1G strut (which is what you will have to get) so if you use 1G lowering springs with an "even" height all around on a 1g, it WILL sit noticeably lower in the rear. the Sportline's lowered the back of my car too far in my opinion. so know I have the KYB GR-2's with H&R GVR4 specific springs and absolutely love them... the only way I would switch is to coilovers. Especially for a road driven car that you put much of any miles on, I can honestly say that the GR-2/H&R combo is very hard to beat!

Any way, I hope that can give you a little bit of insight into your options, any other questions feel free to ask!

Steve

92_talon_awd

Thanks Steve, exactly the information I was looking for! Are these the springs you are running with the GR2 struts? click

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have GR2 with 1G AWD springs (front shortened 1/2 coil) on the daily GVR4. Not a road race machine, but very competent ride and handling.

92_talon_awd

Looks like the GR2s are a good option. I can get all four to my door for less than 150 from rock auto. I'm not going to be doing anything wild with the Galant, just cruising it around. I plan on getting another 1g to continue my rallycross.

tektic

@Ice man
Are you just saying the 1G front springs are shorter or that you cut them a 1/2 a coil? If you mentioned it at all id assume you meant their cut but just wanted to be sure.

coyotes

you should just spend a little bit more and get coilovers from Bob Dole. Adjustable damping, alignment and ride height, how can you go wrong. Plus it's all one assembly, no playing with worn out top hats and spring compressors.

SteveDSM

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
Thanks Steve, exactly the information I was looking for! Are these the springs you are running with the GR2 struts? click

Yes those are the ones! and there is nothing wrong with getting the H&R/GR-2 combo, they are a very very good combo (especially for just cruising around) yet are still stiff enough that if you do decide to autocross it (like I do) they will still do pretty well without beating you up on the street or emptying your wallet completely!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned