The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new paint PICS ON PAGE 3 New Member from Western NY

curtis

You guys are just fricking mean

peoples comments do not bother me at all, yes it was something i had lying around the garage for something else i had already done, just didnt wanna spend any money because i knew it was gonna be through the snow this year and i have already had some significant scrathces from hitting tall snow with my bumper cuz the car is so low, and i also hit a deer a week or two whick really made some paint damage.

i am an adult im pretty much over what people think of my car, whats most important to me is the fact that its extremely dependable, runs low 12's easily and i have yet to spend 4k over the entire project. There are many people on here that cant figure out how to make their car run or drive, or ever get it road worthy and i appreciate the fact that i do have the know how and the available resources to show off this car in my area where i have basically the only one within a long distance. It will be an ongoing projct not something im worried about having a show car overnight. also i think it resembles thomas the tank engine more than the 43 of richard petty

after winter the car will be recieving a permanant paint job, and no more winters, because its just too perfect of a car to use in the winter. But i can say that having these types of responses to someones opening thread will only lower the quality of the forum in general it will not benefit the group in any way.

Hondasi88

I guess i am alone but it kinda like it! Do you have anymore pictures? I have always liked the 99si electric blue color myself

bmxkid415

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Also still on page 1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That blue is certainly not pretty, but at least it will make it easy to spot if I ever see it out my way.

Buahaha!

I never did any body damage or paint scrapes to mine plowing roads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Quoting See4Ways:
thomas the tank engine

Hmmm, I think now is the time to upgrade your title from Newbie to something else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

donkeylips

Hey, I really didn't mean anything by my comments, but don't say your car is the only one in the area, or at least you're the only one with the "know how and available resources". My car is down for a couple more weeks because I'm far too busy with school projects since I am about to graduate, and my brother's car is 70 miles from yours, JSB for similar reasons. You also have the onelap, or former onelap gvr4 70 miles from you, and it's been daily driven before. My friend Dylan daily drives 924/1000 in Rochester currently; I think he's taking it in for a new inspection sticker this week. Last winter, I WAS the only person daily driving a gvr4 in Buffalo, and I did it all winter long through all the tranny, clutch slave, ECU, and TB failures.

Ian M

Quote:
i think it resembles thomas the tank engine more than the 43 of richard petty Quote:

Haha,yeah it does!

I just want to clarify I wasn't being a dick,I was just kidding. You have to admit though,you need thick skin when you own one of these cars,much less paint it that color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

steve

Page # depends on how many "Posts per Page" you have set up in your profile. Lots of us have increased that by now. So if your setting is not "stock" you can't really give someone a hard time for saying "page 2" and it doesn't match up with YOUR "page 2". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

bmxkid415

Quoting donkeylips:
Hey, I really didn't mean anything by my comments, but don't say your car is the only one in the area, or at least you're the only one with the "know how and available resources". My car is down for a couple more weeks because I'm far too busy with school projects since I am about to graduate, and my brother's car is 70 miles from yours, JSB for similar reasons. You also have the onelap, or former onelap gvr4 70 miles from you, and it's been daily driven before. My friend Dylan daily drives 924/1000 in Rochester currently; I think he's taking it in for a new inspection sticker this week. Last winter, I WAS the only person daily driving a gvr4 in Buffalo, and I did it all winter long through all the tranny, clutch slave, ECU, and TB failures.

Also, I still till this day DD my GVR4 that used to reside in Rochester for 3 years before the move 3 months ago. Its even our road trip vehicle at any given time.

stealthtt24

Could have picked a worse color, IMO. Not THAT bad, welcome to the board. Just don't put any windshield washer neons or R for Racing seat covers and you should be OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ducttapeguy

Id like to see pics from the front if you dont mind. Also is it a sunroof car? What other mods? Suspension, IC, ect. I have my galant up here in Fort Drum and Chris is gonna be building me a motor as soon as I get my pistons and rods. Welcome to the board BTW

donkeylips

Is it a sunroof car?! This is your old car!! And Chris...Burch is going to be building you a motor?

Last edited:

ducttapeguy

I wasnt sure it was mine. Lol my old one was 1554 not 1556. And if it is my car I hate to say it, but you may have bought it illegally. I dont remember ever signing the title over to Chris. Can I ask how much you paid? Also did he swap in a motor? I ask cuz he told me that the car was in Buffalo and that the motor needed work. If youd rather not discuss this in a public forum you can PM me and we can talk that way or I can give you my number and we can talk on the phone. Sorry for the potentially bad news. I could very well be wrong. Deployments tend to screw with ones memory

donkeylips

I'm going to post all of this because it's relevant to the original poster and his car. His profile says 1554 and I know both your cars because I've helped Chris out with various things at his place. I don't know what Gary or see4ways has done to the car exactly but I know that Chris did not touch it. Swap the motor? He couldn't even swap the intake manifold. He was super excited about the car, then he gets completely disinterested because it's not boosting properly and overall not perfect. Of course, it had huge boost leaks and I forget what it had for a tune. Looked to me like a solid car that just needed a good day's work. Dude couldn't test for boost leaks, couldn't set base timing, couldn't do anything.

Chris also took my 2g gsx (It was and out of state car and useless to me when the paperwork came back as salvage) in trade for a paint job for my other car after all of these promises he made - and of course he had to have the car right away. I wasn't going to give him any paperwork until it was done, and now I don't trust him anymore. He sold the car with no paperwork and then he tells me to take it back. But the problem is...he doesn't even have it anymore. Apparently he told the new owner of my 2g that he still plans to paint my car, but we'll see what happens in the spring. The fact is that there are a few things he knows how to do, and everything else he says he can do is a lie. He doesn't really do mechanical work and I don't think he can paint cars. He was working on someone's s14 and kind of passed it off like he painted the car. It was discovered that he had someone else locally do it. He also promised me a favor that he never returned; I don't really think it's dishonesty but more incompetency. ...so basically he did the same thing to me; sold my car without me giving him any paperwork for it. Did he at least do all the work he promised?

If the OP has the paperwork then I guess all of this talk about Chris is pointless and I apologize for the waste of space.

Last edited:

ducttapeguy

Well the shortened version goes like this. I buy 282/1000 in late January. Bring it to Drum and drive it for a while. Then I noticed its not acting right one day. Check it out and the turbo is going bad. I already had a 60-1 so I wanted to put that on there, but I need a custom O2 housing made. I get in touch with Chris. We decide to take the car down to his place and he will hang on to it for a week or so and fab up the O2 housing and replace my power steering pump. He quoted me a hell of a good price. So I went for it. 200 ish to trailer the car down to Rochester. This is in like April/May time frame. Things take longer than expected and I ask him to go ahead and do some other work on the car like install ECM link(by the way what kind of laptop is your DSM link on in 1554?) and get it tuned and look the car over for any more hidden problems. after a couple of months of hearing that it should be done by next weekend I go ahead and ask him to build me a motor, since the car was gonna be down for a while. We agreed on a trade. My old VR4(1554) for all the work he had done so far and for the new motor. I spent about $750 getting it shipped from Utah to Ny(PITA BTW) The plan was for him to take 1554's motor out and build it and then we swap the fresh stock rebuild from 282/1000 into 1554. He told me a week or two later that the motor in 1554 was messed up and that it would need a lot of machine work to make it good enough to TRY to build. Damn. But he tells me hes gonna hook me up and he finds a unused Buschur block to build. I havent seen it BTW. While Im down in Louisana for training last month I get a text from him saying he needs the car out of his driveway or his wife is gonna divorce him. Thats no good so I get a hold of my buddy in Drum and beg him to rent a trailer and go get 282 and bring it to Drum. So another $200 later my car is in front of his house in Drum(my recent fiasco starts there) So right now Im waiting on pistons and rods that I bought to be sent to Chris so he can have his builder friend assemble my motor. I should also put it out there that I have sent Chris at least $300 for parts and whatnot. (I sent him the money because I felt bad about the motor in 1554 being messed up. I traded it to him thinking that it was good to go) So basically right now Im out 2 cars and a lot of money and time with basically nothing except 2 parking tickets to show for it. I havent driven my Galant in about 9 months. Im just about at my wits end. I dont know what to do. I dont even remember if I signed the title for 1554 over to Chris or not. I dont have a bill of sale or anything.

I dont want to say that Im being screwed over. Yet. Im just putting the info out there until I know what has been going on. Could be that 282 was messed up more than I thought and Chris is hooking me up, or it could be that a couple of people may have screwed over. I just dont know yet. When my buddy picked up the 282 and took it to his place he put it on the trailer and took it off. He didnt mess with anything. When I moved it from infront of his place last week it didnt have the ECM link laptop in it. I dont know if its still at Chris's place or if it might have been put in 1554 and then sold. When Chris had my Galants there was only 1 ECM link and computer. If you bought 1554 with Link in it already Id like to see pics of the laptop and I could tell you if that is mine or not. Sorry to be stirring all this up in your post.

donkeylips

Just to keep with the information flow since I have nothing to do with 1554 but I am currently tangled in Chris' web of lies, I'm not sure why you would have Chris build an engine because Chris can't build engines. Who is his engine builder friend? Are you sure he exists? Also I can't see him installing ECMlink because he barely knows what it is located. He probably doesn't even know where the ecu in one of these cars is. When 1554 was exhibiting standard signs of boost leaks, he didn't even know what was going on and was begging for my help. As far as the engine in 1554, when I saw the car, it was untouched. Chris said he thought it was freshly rebuilt or something to that effect. I am 100% sure that Chris did not take the engine out because he just doesn't have the resources or the patience. The first time I saw it, it ran and idled decently. I checked base timing and it was way off. I also noticed that the cam gears were backwards. The idle speed jumped up and we shut it down. It wouldn't start after that but there were tons of other little issues like his battery dying and I didn't have all day to help him. If he told you the engine needs work it really sounds like a lie to me. I heard it run and it sounded fine. And I know he didn't remove it, inspect it, or do any work to it. I think all see4ways had to get taken care of was external stuff - maybe some seals and whatnot. He also screwed over a friend of mine by taking a $500 deposit to sell the car, then he turned around and sold it out from under him to see4ways. He returned the $500 at least.

There is one possibility. He has a acquaintance/friend of mine, Tommy, help him out. Tommy is actually knowledgable in DSMs but I think he learned not to trust Chris and I don't think he did any work on 1554. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure any work done on your 282 was done by Tommy. Chris does not have skills working on cars. He knows how to weld and that's it - I'm not even sure if he's good at that. He is no mechanic - it seems like he's a compulsive liar and everything he touches turns to sh*t. I think he had some kind of breakdown because he was having marital issues(surely his wife realized that he can't do anything). I almost hate to bash him but he really deserves it. He's the second "bad guy" from Rochester that I've had to talk about on this forum, and the third guy in five years from Rochester DSM to screw me over. He is the ultimate screw-up and the decisions he makes are kind of pathetic considering that he's a grown man.

I'm still unclear about if he actually completed the O2 housing for you. I actually met Chris in the first place because he was new to the area and looking for a galant vr4 so that he could take some measurements because he was going to build an O2 housing for one. So I brought over 924/1000. I should have realized right then and there that he had no idea what he was doing. He is also very shady with details. I would recommend that no one ever does business with him; the average chimpanzee makes for a better mechanic and businessman. Chris, if you're reading this: sorry man.

I have no idea what Chris tells you, but he tells everybody something different. Tommy and I found that out the hard way, but it looks like you're in it a little deeper. Hopefully it works out for you in the end. I am very curious to see if see4ways has the paperwork and has registered his car. We can take this to PMs if that's better.

282 is a super nice car BTW! I love the 2g gst wheels and the thing is just in really nice shape overall.

raptorWagon

Quoting See4Ways:
also i think it resembles thomas the tank engine more than the 43 of richard petty

I thought it was Thomas the train with George Carlin as the Conductor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Although that blue is not my taste, I would have just left it like it was, but that's just me and I could careless about the multi-paint job. Mine needs paint to cure the never ending pealing clear coat, but not driving it in the winter? Come on, unless your apart of the rust belt then I could understand.

donkeylips

Buffalo, NY is as rust belt as it gets!
When every car around you is destroyed from rust you start wanting to preserve the nice ones.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting donkeylips:
Just out of curiosity was the blue something you just had lying around? What type of paint was it? I hear BG paint tends to be fairly cheap.

Clearly, it was a spray can special.
It probably looks better than the original paint, which was probably faded all to hell.
I've seen plenty of primer-black cars, and nobody seems to give people a ration of sh*t over it.
It isn't "that" bad, really.

Sorry i have not checked this thread untill now because i am at work....hopefully i can answer everyones questions,

1) lets forget about the paint, it was not rattlecanned, it looks fine, cosmetics are not the issue of cars with me. please ignore the paint as far as further posts go and i will then try and clear up any misconceptions about the car as i am a straight forward person and had no idea chris was such a a liar to everyone.

2) I bought this car from chris in cash, he did mention other people were looking at it. i showed up, was the only person there, payed in full, and trailored the car home. My car is registered, insured, and i drive it everyday to work, usually get pulled over for loud exhaust daily. He also tried to sell me that white 2g for 200 dollars which i did not buy because something just seemed strange about that and i had no way to trailor the car home.

3) When i got the car it hardly ran, i am not a super mechanic so i passed the car to burch to do everything, its the only person who ever works on my car. good quality, fair payment, super reliability with everything i own.

4) The problems with the car were as follows in no particular order, Many boost leaks, millions of them. Bad throttle body it was leaking. The intercooler was cut at bottom and not sealed properly i dont know why. Only 550 cc injectors which are too small for my boost application. Had a zietronix unit hooked to some sort of palm pilot for datalogging and ecu had a keydriver chip. The ecu in the car was half fried so all that was useless. The car did not have link or a laptop at all. If it did id be fine with returning it to its rightful owner. I bought dsm link and a new ecu from gary as he would be tuning the car anyways.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned