The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner Of 853/2000

Perrin

Hey Everyone! I'm Eric and as of last weekend I'm the new owner of 853/2000.

The car needs a bit of work from what I've seen so far, but since this is a long-term (non-daily) project there shouldn't be any issues. I don't have very much knowledge about GVR4s but I'm very interested in learning about them, so I'm completely open to advice, comments and criticism. Ultimately, I'd like to restore 853 to original condition and perhaps do a few tasteful modifications, but for now making it mechanically/electrically sound is at the top of my list. I'll continue to lurk the forums in my free time, gleaning useful information about these Galants.

Initial work on the car should start next weekend. Post or PM if you guys know any knowledgeable Seattle-area shops (or people with garages) that are interested in helping me get this gal in tip-top shape. Yes, I know it's blasphemy not to work on your own car, but I live in an apartment until October and work way too much... first world problems.

I took a couple pictures a few days ago, here you are:

Cheers!

transparentdsm

click
do everything on every step here.

also welcome, nice car. pop that hood and take some interior pictures while your at it.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Looks clean.

Perrin

Thank you for the comments, guys! When I'm back at home I'll take some more pictures. The engine bay is not pretty though it's workable and should clean up nicely. Thankfully the interior and all leather is nearly immaculate, so no worries there.

Also, thank you very much for the link, transparentdsm, Tom's VR-4 is definitely the direction I'd like to go with mine once it's back to 100%.

Cheers!

highrpm666

That thing looks good! Reminds of when I found mine. Good luck with getting her whipped in to shape! Definitely watch Tom's videos a few times over. Good info for sure with a comedic twist to say the least. Any thing else you will know will be right here on these forums!

Perrin

Thank you for the kind remarks. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far, and it's an absolute blast to drive around; so much more fun than my Suby DD.

I'll continue to watch Tom's videos, which are already helping immensely with my confidence working on this beast. I took a couple pictures of the engine bay this evening as well, and while not a looker, it seems like a great starting point. I'm stoked.

Please let me know if you see anything in the pictures that needs to be addressed. It's going in to a local shop for teardown inspection as well as transmission/suspension work on Thursday, but I can always add more to the list before then. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Cab interior pictures coming tomorrow, when I've got some daylight!

Tot snel!

GSTwithPSI

For starters, attach the overflow line back to the reservoir.

Why is the wiring harness opened up and exposed near the firewall just behind the intake manifold?

jnava

Staff member
Doesn't look rusty in the engine bay...which is a good sign. Looking good, and welcome to the org.

Perrin

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
For starters, attach the overflow line back to the reservoir.

Why is the wiring harness opened up and exposed near the firewall just behind the intake manifold?

Hey GSTwithPSI, thank you for the input, I'll add the overflow line to my to-do list once it's back from the shop. As for the exposed harness wiring, I will ask the original owner when I get the driver-side underdash and the rear fender mouldings from him, but the wires appear quite new so perhaps a rewire? Either way, I'll inspect the wiring and then re-sleeve it. I've got some 20mm thermal sleeving at work that should fit the bill. I will also be pulling the ECU to do a component check and e-cap replacement, maybe even an x-ray inspection of the PCB assembly if things look interesting inside.

I took a few pictures of the interior yesterday, as well. Enjoy...

edit: Thank you jnava, I'm looking forward to learning a lot here. And I'm so glad there's no rust in the engine bay, or anywhere else as far as I have seen. Thankfully the previous/original owner always kept the car garage stored.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned