The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of #275

Well I am new to DSM's and GVR4 but not to cars. So the car is in great shape now it's time it fix any issues it has and completely redo it clean and freash nothing crazy. So the first problem is that it does have a check engine light that goes on and off, Motor runs good and transmission is butter. It was sitting for over 5 months and the guy that owned it was using 87 ron in it. I've added 93 to a half tank; this is where I've start working first. An old member on this forum owned the car so I'm trying to find any history about the car. I has a rebuild engine and trans plus some other goodies.

LIV4PSI

Welcome. After sitting that long you probably should have drained the gas.

True, Question to all since this is an obd1 car will my pocket scanner not read the codes; also if the ecu is chipped would that also make reader not work.

LIV4PSI

Aren't most scanners OBDII specific? Having a chip won't affect anything.

transparentdsm

datalogger, there like 50$ and they will tell you everything you want/need to know. or get ECMLink and then you cn use a computer to read off of.

We'll the car is upgraded
3 " exhaust
ETS inter cooler
Stock turbo
Act clutch/flywheel
2g head
Jeff o " key diver" chip with data logger no cable or software
Greedy boost controller

Wookalar

To read codes you can try some method where you count the pulses, not real sure how to do it, some here might know. Or you get a pocketlogger with mmcd software. Or you can make the jump to ecmlink which is socketing your ecu for a chip and then on a laptop you can tune and read any code you might come across.

After you figure that out I recommend replacing the timing belt, tensioner and pullies, and water pump, if they havn't recently been done..

raptorWagon

They vary, depending on what was requested for that particular setup and whatnot, I believe if you pull open your ECU case, the chips are labeled to what is on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm just starting to figure everything out about the car. I've found some history of it on this forum back to 2009. Problem with car when it's cold it does want to start (so i change the plug which were dirty). It does have a check engine light so I order a a cable and datalogger software from dsn cables. I also think my fuel regulator is messed up first it looks like an ebay knock off. Second the gauge is not working and the car seem not to be getting fuel sometimes like the regulator is sticking. The stock boost gauge was convert to a knock sensor. I think when the regulator is acting up it shows knock but when the regulator is work no knock and good power. So plans are to replace the regulator with an AEM kit, and when my scanner comes in replace whatever sensor is cause problems.

so the bad things with the car I'm replacing the control arm and out left tie rod. The oil pan is dented by the oil return so pan needs replaced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif o well. I knew going into this car there maybe problem. It's a rare car and I was looking for an evo 8 at the time an couldn't pass up a evo 0 sitting for sale 5 mins from my house. The car is clean over all I haven't had the time to post pics but it a year or two it will look like new.

Wookalar

Used twenty year old car that has passed through who knows how many hands is going to have some issues.

Get yourself an aftermarket boost and oil pressure gauges to start, and along with a way to monitor parameters you will have a much nicer ownership experience with the galant.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned