The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Member!!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting nemovr4:
Hello.
Small list of modifications done:
I moved the air filter forward to where the battery normally sits (and moved the battery to the trunk)
I use a lazy-Z pipe to carry the air to the turbo. The turbo is a standard 16g
BOV was replaced recently.
Standard throttle body. Port-matching and cleanup of intake manifold runners
Ported head HKS 264 Intake cam HKS 272 exhaust cam Standard valves, pistons
Port-matching to the exhaust manifold Cleanup in exhaust manifold/bypass valve
2 1/2" dia Stainless steel exhaust Large capacity catalyst

Has adjustable fuel-pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge, wide-band O2 sensor 2 position boost pressure control (I disconnected it from the system to simplify finding air leaks)
Pictures soon..

Do you have a chip/link/aftermarket ecu, etc?

... don't see any means to "tune" in that list

Untill you do, there's really not a whole lot a shop can do for ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

As far as getting the car sorted, getting the clutch situation resolved sounds like it should be your first priority.

much more information will be required there!

Where are you located?

If I may make a suggestion, it would be to stock up on beer, and invite a few of the locals over for a look see.

Heading to a "shop" to "fix" things could very likely bust your wallet, especially when many things can be resolved by yourself/with a little guidance/help from the locals.

There's some really saavy cats around these parts, and I'm sure a few would be down to help you sort some things out.

... then, after you know what's what, a shop could be used to handle things beyond what you're set up to do.

I would suggest you do as much as you can to sort things before entering into the "tuner" shops.

... as you can see, there are some very polarised opinions on the various local shops. (to say the least!)

Everybody has an opinion on the local shops, but in the end their work tells the tale.

Like a few others here, I was wrenching on these cars when they were new, and at this point, I've seen just about everybodies work.

I honestly think the best work is always done by the owner of the vehicle himself. You know what you;re looking for, a shop can only "guess" what you're after

Remember, they are a business, they make a living charging folks to "fix" sh*t, the more you fix yourself, the the better the results will be

... and the less the bill will be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DR1665

Quoting LIV4PSI:
People get their panties in bunch over the whole DSM thing for 2 reasons

1. They want to make sure there is differentiation because GVR4s are rare and we want them to become collectible and appreciate in value.

2. There is something referred to around here as a 4 door DSM mentality. It basically consists of everything you are trying to reform yourself from. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to see that term catching on. You've got it dead correct.
(If only "DSM purity" had caught on so well.)

Welcome to the ORG, new guy. Colorado is a good place be. Toybreaker is a good guy to listen to. IMHO, he's our resident zen master. I have no idea what he looks like, but I imagine it's kinda like Buddha, maybe with a beard, but definitely with a wrench in one hand, and pointing to the $0.32 piece of wire that, if you had run the right size in the first place, would result in an additional 150awhp. Something like that.

If you end up having to yank that clutch, get yourself resolved right now to be super methodical about putting it back together right. Not that Honda guys are in anyway less capable than Mitsubishi guys, but your time in the scene should make it clear to you how far people get when "there isn't time or money to do it right the first time." They typically come up with time and money to do it over.

Press on regardless.

nemovr4

I am located in Cap Hill, the Galant is currently sitting up in Conifer, and hasn't moved for about 3 years...so aside from the clutch (which I am going to man up and give it a shot on my own. After reading through all the helpfull info on here and light skimming of the owners manuals it seems pretty straight forward...) I will also need to buy a new battery. And from what I have read I need to pick up a new Mitsu TOB, and Axle seals.
Is there anything else I should worry about while I am doing the clutch, since it has been sitting for so long?

Thanks for all the help. love the site!!

quato

i would throw a fork and the ball it sits on in there for good measure. good thing to do "while you're in there"

nemovr4

Quoting quato:
i would throw a fork and the ball it sits on in there for good measure. good thing to do "while you're in there"

I'm assuming you mean the clutch fork??
And thanks for the input!

Also has there been a DIY post I can't find for fitting projectors into the 92 headlights??

quato

yah the clutch fork. i was elbows deep in work and couldn't remember what it was called for some reason lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned