The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help with my altenator pulley

Logan981

There's been 2 other owners of 981 that have done heavy modding to it. At some point someone did the alternator position swap back to the firewall. My problem is the pulley used was WAY too big and misses the frame by maybe 1/16th of an inch, pic rel. What are my options now? It is running of the front pulley atm and, the belts seem to fit ok. What are my options to fix this? There is a good sized junkyard nearby and I'm willing to order what I need

20230225_125555.jpg

diambo4life

Mine is pretty close to the frame (close enough to make slipping a belt on the pulley an issue with the engine in the car) but, it has never made any contact. It has been in there for years and this thing has seen hundreds of 9k rpm pulls. As long as your engine has good mounts (I have polys) it's not something to worry about assuming the kit was installed correctly.

slugsgomoo

I did a little BFH massaging to the car where mine was because I was a little paranoid, but even with stock mounts and hitting the limiter on 2-3 shifts at 10,500 I don't have any marks from it hitting. Usually pulling the tensioner arm allowed enough clearance to sneak a belt through though.

is yours using the jay racing tensioner, or is it the older Buscher style? I can't tell from the pic.

raptorWagon

That's also a GM/Saturn alternator, not your stock alternator that's been relocated fyi, common upgrade on these cars.

Could always remove alternator then massage out that area of the rail.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned