The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help with a quickness *Update as of 2 July*

DynastyLCD

just leave a few days early, plan to stay in CT for a couple days. we'll get everything sorted out for ya!

if you need a good place to work, and tools, you know where im at man. garage is always open!

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ best choice of the thread! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

ducttapeguy

Phil I will probably be at your place in Just under 3 weeks. Thinking around the 19th or so if thats cool with you.

Until I get there and have someone who knows more than me about cars take a look at my G IM gonna have to resort to asking you skallywags for advice on the board. I have been kinda busy since my last update. Trying to get my sh*t squared away here at Drum to get out of here by the 17th and also waiting on my new 3g MAF to get here and installing it. Hopefully I wired the damn thing right, but Im not too sure since the car is running like ass right now. I also took a big chance and got some high heat cold weld and patched the small hole I had in the exhaust side of my turbo. So far no issues there so thats looking good.

I went out this evening and tried to do a couple of pulls to see how things were looking with the new MAF. As soon as I start getting on the gas I get hesitation and then knock. I think I might have gone the wrong way with my adjustments in ECMLink now that Im typing this and thinking things through. So that might be my issue. Stupidity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif But either way I have a brand spanking new log for you gurus to have a look at and hopefully yall have a bit of insight for me and an adjustment or three.

July 2 log

As for getting back to the initial issue of the sputtering thats going on. Its still there. Just as I have described a couple of times in this thread. Patching the hole in the turbo didnt do anything to stop the sputter. Im running out of time and options to get this car running well enough to trust on a 1500+ mile trip(Not all at once, spread out over about 3 weeks) to Ft Hood, Texas. I need help. And I could use some help with the car too. Any input for you guys is appreciated as always.

Tyler

DynastyLCD

Quoting toybreaker:
^^^ best choice of the thread! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

thanks toybreaker!!!

Tyler, sounds good to me brother. just let me know exactly when, and if you need a place to stay and food to eat, i will arrange whatever i can for ya!

Okayplayer

^This is why I enjoy this board. OP you should take him up on this offer and get the car sorted before embarking on a cross country trip. It will be a lot less of a headache to get the car looked over by experience and willing eyes than it is to call a tow truck that will only pick up the nose of your car because they think it's a fwd...

MuffinMan7580

Picture 1:Electrical noise filter, I've been told it is for the tach, it just gets grounded.
Picture 2:possibly fuel pump check connector, but it's in the wrong place. FPCC *SHOULD* be over on the trans side of the engine bay.
Picture 3:Refer to #2
Picture 4:Don't think so.
Picture 5:Slack at the top of the cam gears is quite common, and isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Different cams are going to have different amounts of slack there. Ofcourse you want it to have some tension, but even just a little bit of tension over the large amount of surface area touching the gear is going to provide plenty of power/resistance to skip. The place you really want to pay attention to the tension is the cranks sprocket and tensioner pulley (imagine that).

I do not have Link, so I can't say anything about the logs, but the sound bytes you uploaded sounded similar to a lot of DSM's that have wastegates on just on runner of the exhaust manifold. I do have bad ears though. If there's a junkyard nearby, try to get a set of coils and an ignitor (also called the ignition transistor). Last time I got those at a junkyard it was a whopping total of $20.

ducttapeguy

Think I might have figured out the source of my problems.

Two more holes on the turbo. I posted up a pic of the first one a little ways back. I did a quick and sloppy patch job with some high temp cold weld.

It isnt pretty but I wanted to see if that would fix my issue. I was planning on cleaning it up and making it pretty if it did fix my issues. It didnt. So today I pulled the turbo manifold and O2 housing and found the other two holes pictured above. Lovely. So now I am in the process of putting the freshly re assembled HKS turbo kit on the car to see what happens next. If all goes well then it will stay on the car for the foreseeable future. If not, well, then Im basically fucked. Wish me luck. Leaving the frozen hell of the North in just over a week. Hopefully in my Galant.

Tyler

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned