The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my galant is naked!

broke down

I'd be willing to bet you run into a lot of the same stuff, if your car has been in the area for a while. I always have images in my head like these when I hear people say or advertise a car for sale and say "rust free car". Balogna. Unless your car has been sitting in the desert, it probably has some rust, especially in wheel arches, or behind fenders. As far as cost goes, I'm guessing in the range of 1000-1500 dollars for paint and materials, and maybe some new fenders. I will be doing all of the work myself, except for maybe some sand/soda blasting.

G

Staff member
Looks good! you need one of the mmc repair manuals i have! click It shows where all the wax was installed in the panels & a bunch of other cool shite.

broke down

That would be neat to see. However, my approach to bady wax is going to be, if there is a hole or cavity, then it's getting sprayed with wax. I'm also trying to seal/weld up unused screw holes, seam seal many of the joints where panels come together, and fix captured nuts that have become infected with broken off, rusted out, 10 mm bolts.

broke down

more updated pics. first time the car has been on the rotisserie. First time the rotisserie has been turned with a car on it. I was very excited. Especially when it did not fall off on me. Should make things a lot easier to work on.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Outstanding work sir! The pics are excellent; thanks for sharing. Is that your garage?

misterfixit

here's some colour ideas...
As was said earlier whatever happens it'll look great as your doing it the proper way.
89.10 jdm brochure
click,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=14&Limit=25&Main=144328&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=1761&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post144423

I think the red you are looking at from the mitsu colours is the one on the 1.8dohc ms on page 3. in the uk we got the gti as a flat red and grey two tone. I'm not a fan of that as it goes milky and i'm guessing you want the colour to last.

What i do really like and its a factory colour scheme, but not on the vr-4 is the paint on the VX-S (pearl white and silver two tone) the pearl white like you see on older Yamahas (Fzr1000exup).

Very japanese and not common at all.

Anyways, have a look through the catalogs That I posted, should give you some factory options. They never went too much for yellows.

Rich

broke down

Thanks. Yes, that is my garage. What a feeling to put the chassis up on the rotisserie, that I built, and have it work the first time, without any modification needed. That was cool. Then, I call the local mitsu dealer, and find out that not only can they get the rockers that I need to replace, but they are only going to cost me about three hundred bucks. I was really figuring on having to hand fab the sheetmetal in that area. Another thing I found out that day was in the latest issue of sport compaact that came in the mail. They are using expanding foam on their s13 silvia project, and it says in the article that it's easy to do on a rotisserie, and after looking up the manufacturers website, the materials to do this are only like 65 dollars. I think I'm going to try that in the rockers and a,b,anc c pillars. Not only for strength, but for possibly keeping moisture and debris out of there. Has anyone ever tried that on here? I assume not, but I was just wondering if it was worth it if anybody had, and could share some insight. I think it might add some sound deadening, and strength to those areas. Thoughts?

G

Staff member
Yeah that foam will work, but you may want to dip the whole car first, that way it's 100% rust free inside & out.

You should seam weld or stitch the bitch's chassis while she is apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

broke down

well, it's been a long time since I did anything to the galant. Earlier this year I found out I was losing my job, so I kind of planned on parting out the car. I ended up going back to working in a repair shop a couple of months ago, and recently I was bitten by the bug again. So, I cleaned up the garage, and got the car back out today and started cleaning up all of the black undercoating from the bottom of the chassis, and the wheel arches. It took me all day, and after about 7 cans of engine degreaser and a new pressure washer here are the results.

There are "before" images earlier in this post. Its a big difference now. Hopefully I will be able to get some new rockers soon, so that I can get all of the rust repaired, so that I can get this bitch primed, so that I can get it mudded, so that I can get it painted, so that I can get it assembled, so that I can actually drive it for the first time. Damn, who's idea was this anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

fivestardsm

I see that you were leaning to a red, although these are not darker reds, I think they look nice. Then you could always go for the stock Mitsu burgandy also.

And I didn't get a chance to go through the entire post, but This is the best by far "rust preventitive paint" to use exspecially if you have any rust issues.>>> POR 15.com

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Looks nice, wish I had the time for that. How much does one of those rotisseries cost?

deez

Wow, you are going thru one hell of a lot of effort on that car. Gotta give you props for that! I would never have the patience to do what you are doing with it. And my 2 cents, Mexican Red from the 88 Conquest I had. Nice color. And the name puts a stupid smile on my face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

prove_it

I love your homemade engine stand car rotisserie body stand. I never realized how simple they really are. I would love to this project in person, that's a hardcore project you got going on. Bravo man, bravo.
BTW: artic white looks good, so would a murdered out black on black would good too.

Last edited:

14u2nV

I've been starting to gather stuff to make my own rotiss for a while now, since I built the dolly it's gone double time. Mine will look like that soon. It's fun stripping it to nothing and dreaming about what it will look like isn't it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned