The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my car wont dim with the dimmer switch

Brunoboy

anyone know which wire controls the dimmer switch? I have tried two switches, Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt and has been this way for 3 years from the previous owner, My foglight switch back when i bought the car worked and now it doesnt. I found the previous owner wired my cig lighter to a constant hazard button which i fixed because it was a fail. So anyone know what I can do about the dimmer?

Last edited:

Sunglasses? then you can rock out to that sunglasses at night song

DONT MESS ARROUND WITH THE GUY IN SHADES OH NO!!

sooo you got a ground a constant switched and the output to the lights. your problem lies there! you probably have the light system tapped somewhere else so its overridding the switch.

Brunoboy

the dimmer worked sometimes, is this still a possibility?

Brunoboy

Thanks, btw i turned the car on today and it worked 0_o......

Brunoboy

Now it doesn't...

Hertz

Staff member
Unplug the switch. If the lights are still on you have a short to ground somewhere. If they go out, replace the dimmer.

Brunoboy

They stay on, does this mean I must remove the dash?

Brunoboy

i removed the cluster and the speaker and found two hacked wires. i redid the wiring and still it doesnt dim. I have no idea where the break can be, also my foglight switch doesnt work either. are these two linked together?
-Shane

Brunoboy

i know that, but i was talking about is the fog light switch connected in anyway to the dimmer switch problem?
-Shane

SouthCaliVR4

No the fogs should not effect switching from low to high or visa versa. Have you tried another combo switch (dimmer switch)?

Brunoboy

i have, like i said it works sometimes, not all the time, When I bought the car, the fog switch worked and the dimmer switch too. Now the fogs dont, and the Dimmer every once in awhile.

SouthCaliVR4

other than a shorted wire I don't see anything in the diagram outside of the dimmer switch that would cause your issue. could be someone miswired the headlamp or posibly you lost a ground & it's backfeeding the high beam circuit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brunoboy

the only wire I know I cut was from the stock Security Alarm. are There fuses for both the fog and dimmer?
-Shane

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned