The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My 91 Galant VR-4 Evolution

G

Staff member
So you could get the rs w/ aws. According to the brochure the mc only had 210 ps. Also looks like both amgs were 170ps, but the type 2 was lighter.

Last edited:

H05TYL

Quoting G:
So you could get the rs w/ aws. According to the brochure the mc only had 210 ps. Also looks like both amgs were 170ps, but the type 2 was lighter.

think the numbers in brackets < > are for auto trans version.

misterfixit

Vr4 RS was available as a n e38a (no 4ws) or e39a (with 4ws) originally introduced in feb88 with 205ps, then 220ps in october 89, then in 0ctober 1990 240 Hp, the auto came ONLY as a plain VR4 and was introduced in oct 89 or 90.

I like the steelie wheels on the rally spec rs.

Rich

The Monte Carlo VR4s also supposedly had a different, rearward torque biased center differential than the normal VR4s to reflect the car that was campaigned there. Any truth to this?

Quoting H05TYL:
"Monte Carlo" vr4 appears to be the same as "evolution" vr4 but with the addition of Monte Carlo stickers on the doors.

Original Japanese sales brochure is here on nick (vr4rs)'s site.
other original Japanese sales brochures are here

Here's a pic of my mates Monte Carlo vr4.

z200701-3.jpg

There is actually one that is even more orginal than this one over here I have just found in New Zealand. Even has the original stereo (which I could never find damnit!). However is now bordering on recondition time.

Yup I'll post some of the old work in progress pics if I can find them...

Engine out
21-11-07_1805.jpg

Completed head
14-12-07_1420.jpg

Polished and balanced crank
14-12-07_1416.jpg

Intake manifold and plenum bathed, polished, with all new gaskets (don't come in rebuild kit)
13-12-07_2010.jpg

Cleaned engine bay and new conduit on loom
13-12-07_2001.jpg

ENGINE BEFORE REBUILD
24-11-07_1509.jpg

ENGINE AFTER REBUILD AND WITH HOURS POLISHING WITH A TOOTHBRUSH (LITERALLY):(
02-02-08_2301.jpg

You can actually see in that final pic I had forgotten to clean the right hand front bolt of the rocker cover, and had also bolted the curved intake pipe onto the turbo back to front (it was around 3am and I was tired lol)

Yeah went through 3 "Smokers" toothbrushes (hard bristles), a wire brush, two wire discs, and a punnet of chemical steel cleaner/polisher. That was after the chemical batheing lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned