The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

mls headgasket ?

mean_green

Subscribed,
--I hope we can keep this thread going, Im going to be pulling my motah this weekend to do the Tbelt goodness and ARPs and MLS while Im at it... Would love to decide if Im going to coat or not to coat.
-Alan

I think it depends on what else you're doing. If you had just machined the block and head, I don't think I would bother since the surfaces would be good. However, if I was just cleaning up the surfaces and not machining them I would spray.

The article is correct that the gasket is designed to move, but it will do this between the layers. Therefore, if you do spray be very careful not to get it between the layers.

Great tip too about non-chlorinated brakleen, +1.

I've always used copper coat. Never had a problem, this last head gasket I didn't and now I have a blown head gasket, long story... I think from now on I will always use it as a superstious thing, not that I think it makes a better seal. I thought the oil squirters were there to keep you from melting pistons by keeping the piston temps lower...

Lucas03ES

I just got my car a couple weeks ago, the kid I got it from had put a new MLS cometic HG on it when he did the timing belt and such, and when he cranked it over, it bent the valves. Would it be safe to reuse the headgasket or should I scrap it and get a new one? It has ARP studs if it matters.

onesickcrx

When I was at the shoot out this year a guy was telling me that he had issues every time he went past 37 psi with the copper gasket spray. He started using flat black rattle can spray and is now running more boost with no issues same head same block same studs. I am just repeating what I was told his car made mid 800 range of hp. I personally do not spray my gaskets and I have made well over 500 hp around 37 psi on motorcycles have even had a few 600 hp bikes 40+ psi with no spray on head gasket. I had my head and block decked to make sure they were flat have had no problems so far with MLS and ARP's.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned