The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hylomar non-setting on mls

turbohf

from the pictures it seems that the deck is a little rough for a MLS gasket. when you had it machined did you tell them you where going to be using an MLS gasket? with a fresh machined block and head a viton coated (like OEM or Cometic) MLS headgasket should have no problems at all being thrown on with a clean surface.

really adding a layer of Hondabond/Mopar/copperspray/whatever is just for the paranoid or the ones that are trying to hide an imperfect surface.

on my Galant when i put the 2.4L in it i just cleaned the block surface (brake clean and red scotchbrite), threw a virgin Cometic headgasket down, and topped it off with my fresh cleaned off machined head (for MLS).

turbohf

i just took another close up look of the surface you posted. do those scratch looking marks catch your finger nail? or does it feel smooth? i have never machined an iron block/head, just aluminum. and those always seem to look super smooth when machined for MLS gaskets.

tektic

Between holes 2 and 3 is the only rough patch. I can catch my finger nail in a few of those tooling marks. some are deeper than others. The rest of the surface is super smooth and so is the head.

diambo4life

That is interesting. I hate to change what I have always done since it has worked....but, when I have the head off next week, I may try it dry.

presterone

Copper spray contains acetone which eats the sealant on the factory gasket. If you were to remove the sealant by Cleaning it and then sprayed with hylomar or copper in theory should work well.

tektic

Do you clean the gaskets before you install them? If so with what?

I have seen some other mls gaskets for different applications that are coated entirely with a blue film that shouldn't be tampered with or wiped with solvent. I know that's not the case here but it would be nice to know how to prep a factory mls. I was planning to just wipe the steel shim part of both surfaces with acetone, not the black goo.

turbohf

i try to go all surgical and make sure my hands are not touching the gasket surface at all. hold it in the bores and edges. they come out the wrapping clean, so just make sure not to touch it.

tektic

Ran across this old post and figured I'd up date it.

I assembled my MLS dry after cleaning everything with microfiber and alcohol. 600 miles later compression is still fine, however after the second startup oil presented itself from the front left corner of the headgasket.

Ill be using additional sealant next time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned