The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

messed up turbine threads

b00st33d

So i managed to mess up one of the threads of the turbine housing where it meets the exhaust manifold. It one of the threads on backside of the housing. I have seen people drill through the thread and put a longer through bolt on them. My question is, what kind or where can i find a bolt to thru fasten? Would a headbolt work? Or better yet what did you do if you ran into this issue (maybe re-tap (what size and where did you get the bolt))? Thanks.

mitsuturbo

IIRC i just went to Lowe's and bought some nice, strong 7/16" bolts and nuts. Drilled out the turbine housing so the bolt would fit through, and put it together.
Of course, this won't work with some turbine housings, as they've a blind hole. The evo3 housing is a good candidate for thru-bolts. The stock one probably is not.
I've also gone and ground the lower side of the turbine housing flange flat so that a nut would fit better there, in the past.

JNR

If you go that route, use metric screws/nuts (not sae), to keep it all similar under the hood and throughtout the car in regards to tools; would probably use at least a class 10.9 (equiv. gr 8 SAE) as well, fwiw.

boostin4door

I had a stripped thread on one of my BullsEye housing[hx35] holes. I re-tapped it and used a new bolt, that worked well for 5 years but it never really 'tightened' good. So, this spring I had a bolt made into a stud[w/a nut on top] and that seems to be working better.
Good Luck...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned