The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drivers side intermediate shaft stripped threads in block.

BoostedAWD91

So the right side bolt hole in the block for my intermediate shaft is mostly stripped out to where I can thread the bolt in but can't really tighten it. I have had it bandaided for a few months by loctiting it to keep it in there and secure. I need to replace the bearing on the intermediate shaft bracket and having to take that bolt out 2-3 times these past months I know im about out of luck as far as having that bolt hold.
My question is has anyone ever tried or know if it's possible to fix the threads with the engine still in the car. If so what do you think is the best route to take. Try and run a m10x1.25 tap in it and see if it will fix the threads or am I going to have to drill it and put a insert or go a size bigger.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You need a non-tapered thread tap. Bottoming tap or somesuch name.
If there isn't enough thread to work with anymore in terms of locking down the bolt and keeping at the proper torque (IE it spins past or never reaches optimal torque setting), then yes,
you will be having an insert put it, with likely the engine out of the car.
I'm not sure you have anymore room at the back side of the block than any other 4g6X motor equipped car with corresponding drivetrain/steering rack.

tektic

I have used a longer bolt with the same length 10mm shoulder with no ill effect.

diambo4life

I would drill and tap it for a bigger thread. With proper tools, you can do this with the engine in the car. Just lots of patience. I have drilled out a broken bolt from there before with the engine in the car. It was a bitch. Whatever you do, don't drive the car with only one bolt supporting thee weight of the bearing. It will break off the other bolt.

donniekak

Drill it out and use an insert, but make sure you leave the last 3/8" or so untouched, and remove the part of the insert that prevents the bolt from going past it. There is a hole at the bottom of the threads that the dog point of the Oem bolt goes in. This is what locates the bracket, as there aren't any dowels.

The v6 cars use 2 dowels and 2 bolts. The dowels locate the bracket, and the bolts keep the bracket engaged with the dowels. In the 4g63 the bolts are dual purpose, they have dog points to locate the bracket like dowels would, and the bolt also has a special shoulder. Using a bolt with no dog point or locating shoulder is the same thing as removing the 2 dowels from the v6 setup and just using bolts. What happens is the bolts eventually break.

EMX5636

Looks like only the first 3-4 threads are stripped. Are you sure you have the correct bolt in there? They are shouldered, and have a pilot tip with only a lockwasher under the head.

BoostedAWD91

Yes it's the correct bolt. It got stripped this time from removing it

Last edited:

4g63mightymax

I'd run a tap through that, and go get a longer bolt. Figure out what the longest bolt is that will fit in that hole, and use all the threads you can. Be sure not to strip the rest out.

thomcasey

The factory bolts are the longest bolts. At one time I bet someone either used a shorter bolt or the old bolt was used without a lock washer can backed out.

4g63mightymax

Crazy question - Do you have the A/C compressor bracket in place?

EMX5636

That is the correct bolt Sean, but I could have sworn there is more threads engaged than that. You could try running a longer bolt, but just be aware that most other factory Mitsu bolts are undercut a bit so the fit won't be as precise. Maybe find a grade 10.9 or something aftermarket bolt with a longer shoulder and cut the remaining threads off so you get the most threads in the block.

G

Staff member
Do you have the ac bracket or are you running the mitsu spacer?

BoostedAWD91

No I don't have ac so I'm using the spacer but that's used on the left side of the bracket. This is on the right side.
These are oem bolts so they are the correct ones.
I work at fastenal so I can get pretty much any bolt but like said above the oem bolts have that tip on them so their located correctly

BoostedAWD91

Probably just gonna order another set of bolts from jnz cause idk if I'd be able to fix the threads on that bolt or not

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned