The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Meet 1027/2000 "Build/progress" (sea foam green machine)

lowcashleblanc

Got a little more tear down done but mostly just organized stuff. To my surprise when I went down to the shop I noticed some body work was started for me. A good friend of mine that does body work swang by to put some work in on it for me. I gave him a bunch of Miata parts in exchange for his help when I was ready to start work on her!

DSC_1753_zps7cbb2af2.jpg

Some photos of the clutch that was in there, flywheel and the screwed up pressure plate bolts as well!

DSC_1762_zps84706acf.jpg

DSC_1769_zpsd262ede0.jpg

DSC_1766_zps5ea50eee.jpg

Old trans, will work on getting carnage photos

DSC_1768_zps376c1a3e.jpg

DSC_1767_zps9a7519f9.jpg

I removed the valve cover to get a peak at the head. Its not gunked up so thats a good sign! Cant really tell in this photo but the regulator and the line on the pass side (feed, return? I forget) going into the fuel rail and just popped in there. There are no provisions on the rail for the OE parts to bolt into! Sketch as fuq and unsafe. Going back to OE rail, but on a positive note there are FIC 650cc injectors in there. Another score!

DSC_1776_zpsfb8bff4d.jpg

lowcashleblanc

All my parts are finally in, will update with pictures tonight. My initial budget has taken a pretty big hit and after pulling the turbo and manifold for inspection the other day, I found a fracture in the manifold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif (there went my ac budget) Currently looking for a replacement manifold. Good news is there is zero in/out/side to side shaft play in the turbo.

lowcashleblanc

Small update:

So far I have only installed the shifting cables and put on the EVOIII O2 housing. I have mostly been working on getting her prepped for this weekend. A local friend and DSM'er is coming to help get this baby put back together. I think the fist plan of attack is getting the new trans in the car. Well, new rear main seal and resealing the oil pan first, then trans.

I think I have enough stuff to keep me occupied for a bit. Its a good thing too cause my wallet has taken a pretty good beating, gives me a chance to build the budget back up for phase 2.

How she sits as of right now:

DSC_1806_zps18fde8d9.jpg

ECMlink Full V3

DSC_1816_zpsc5b77cbd.jpg

New parts and messing with the turbo.

DSC_1825_zps0a58ecd1.jpg

New EVOIII O2 housing and the modified stocker that was on there. It was pointing straight at the front cross member and ended 1/2 an inch above it.

DSC_1826_zpsf215c4e2.jpg

add3e6b5-2965-417d-a72a-ab5eb2d3551e_zps665ee097.jpg

Last edited:

lowcashleblanc

Some updates:

Progress is still slow, I did manage to get the replacement trans and transfer case in. Im doing my best to not get overwhelmed with all the short cuts that were made on this car by previous owners. Trying to take on one thing at a time. The wires at the ECU have been hacked up pretty good by whoever installed the APEXIneo. When I was removing it from the harness most of the wires just fell off their solder joints, currently deciding on how to go about that fix. Most of the vacuum lines and associated parts are either not present or not hooked up, working on searching for vacuum diagrams.

DSC_2145_zpsbe1cfb1d.jpg

DSC_2140_zps8cf86f82.jpg

DSC_2144_zps4e819834.jpg

DSC_2137_zps9e209b16.jpg

DSC_2136_zps75c0e1d9.jpg

DSC_2138_zps8844ea31.jpg

My roomate started the tear down on the timing case, when he got the cover off there was no balance shaft belt to be found. Lots of gunk from the timing belt being carved by that pesky bolt. Hopefully getting this all this knocked out soon. Not moving any further till I have time to complete it from start to finish.

DSC_2130_zps8ec51018.jpg

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

At a glance, most all those vac lines are just emissions stuff. If you don't get smogged, I would just ditch it properly

vr4play

I would recommend against using hd shockproof oil in your trans unless you plan to tear it apart often. The wax separates and clogs up all of the oiling holes inside the transmission causing more problems. I would run click , or this click . I have been using the Motul with good success.

lowcashleblanc

Quoting LIV4PSI:
At a glance, most all those vac lines are just emissions stuff. If you don't get smogged, I would just ditch it properly

Emissions for me here is just a tailpipe test and a cat check. Also being the car is awd, it will be a idle test. Makes it even easier to pass. lol I was planning on picking a small sheet of aluminum and cutting a block off plate for the EGR valve. At this point I am trying to figure out what vacuum lines I need so I can delete the rest. Nothing is were it should be on this car. The Wastegate line was connected to the OE fuel pressure regulator, then plummed into the intake with the boost signal pulled from it as well. I need to read through vfaq again to see if I find what I need.

Quoting vr4play:
I would recommend against using hd shockproof oil in your trans unless you plan to tear it apart often. The wax separates and clogs up all of the oiling holes inside the transmission causing more problems. I would run click , or this click . I have been using the Motul with good success.

Yeah, I dont want to break my trans. Thank you for the links.

strokin4dr

you can get an OEM egr blockoff plate from a 90-94 T/E/L 1.8L. These cars did not have the egr valve and had a plate installed instead. All the aftermarket and homemade plates I have come across always leak.
-Ryan

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned