The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

max speed?

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
I cant believe you guys have such raggedy cars? do you guys not listen to your own advice? I see so many threads on make sure your car is sound before you add power, then I see a thousand threads on adding a bunch of performance stuff, and yet no one has there car over 120? it kinda seems like a waste to me. its just weird that so many of you have cars that feel like they are gonna fall apart at 80. I drive my car at 90-100 every single day. (around here the speed limit 70 so 20 over isnt too bad on a 4 lane empty road.)

Im with cheekychimp on this one. my car feels like it belongs in the triple digits. but maybe ball joints and wheel bearings are over rated?

i've done 155 but i rarely take my car past 90, there's just no need in my daily life to be going that fast. if there werent deer and dense forest off the edge of every highway, it might be different, wide open desert on all sides would make me much more willing to go WOT, well, that and if cops didn't mind...

mountaineerjeff

yea, I dont mean drive reckless, or out of your means, or illegally or anything like that. it just caught me as weird when people are like I havent done above 80. I took all 3 of my mitsus over 120 ish on the night I bought them

IncorpoRatedX

the night you bought them? now THAT sounds stupid. Assuming you checked over the suspension and drivetrain to make sure all was well, it's not that dumb, just sounds dumb.

I generally only exceed 100mph on the drag strip and I rarely do that anymore. I think I'm getting old... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mountaineerjeff

its called a test drive, lol. I think Im just a little jaded. I mean I have been doing 70 mph since I was 14. (completely legally) around here thats the speed limit, and everyone does 10+. so when people tell me their max is 80? im like WTH? I used to do that WITH my driver ed teacher.

I just dont have the self control to drive a turbo car at like 2500 rpm and 0 psi. they just feel nicer around 100. they just seem to hug the road, and drive smoother, and be in the power band.

IncorpoRatedX

yeah... highway speed limit here is 70...
Utah speed limit is 80mph

It's possible that you're just dangerous... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop

Both my cars are extremely smooth at speed. That doesn't mean I drive them that fast though. I was cited for doing over 100mph in a 65 zone several years ago in 1051. 3am and almost no other cars around on an eight lane stretch of I-405 through Bellevue. Negligent 2nd degree doesn't look good on the driver's record and the fine is enough to pay for a new 16g. I try to keep myself out of such situations anymore, regardless of how much the car feels like it wants to be at those speeds.

mountaineerjeff

lol, well I didnt think this was a thread on the safety of speeding. but I understand where you guys are coming from. I dont know what to say to help you sleep at night, but Im not some ricer kid thats speeding down sidewalks and running over grandmas. I have NEVER been in an accident because of the safety precautions I take. I know youre entire argument already, and it has good points, im just saying that im not a threat to any innocent people.

and as far as your ticket goes, it pays to play as they say. I honestly didnt mean to throw this thread that far off.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

raptorWagon

Places like VA the general limit on the highway is 65, parts of WA is 60-65, up here or out in Wop area away from Seattle it's 70.

mountaineerjeff

^cool story bro^

dmj

I did 135mph for less than a minute last month to remove a new Camaro RS that was sticking too close to my rear bumper at 75 mph for at least 5 min. At 120 he started to fade away. I immediately slowed down to 75 and he kept at least 20 car lenghts behind me for the next 7 miles until I exited the Expressway.I had a smile on the entire time. : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mountaineerjeff

Quoting dmj:
I did 135mph for less than a minute last month to remove a new Camaro RS that was sticking too close to my rear bumper at 75 mph for at least 5 min. At 120 he started to fade away. I immediately slowed down to 75 and he kept at least 20 car lenghts behind me for the next 7 miles until I exited the Expressway.I had a smile on the entire time. : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fourth gear is a good camaro remover.

WaRrIoRs16

Can't confirm whether this is actually on the road or not, but I just seen this 35 to 150mph pull. web page

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned