The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lowered Ride Pics

turbowop

Anything will ride smoother than riding on bumpstops, or no bumpstops in your case.

I have Tein HA's on 1051, which don't have any more travel than the factory struts, so the height my car is at now is as low as possible. Even now I'm sacrificing some ride quality for looks by having the car as low as it is. If I hit a big enough bump or pothole, it's felt throughout the whole car. If you wanna go that low, it's not going to ride well. Actually, if you get coilovers like mine, it doesn't ride very well at any height, due to the stiff springs.

On 503 I have AGX w/ Ground Control coilover sleeves. That's not a good setup to go low as the AGX's don't like that height and blow out. Mine are actually jacked up higher than stock to fit my winter tires though.

Man I guess I am going to have to sacrifice ride Quality Over Looks, No point in Having a Qwik AWD car and cannot enjoy it....I do not daily Drive this car, max 15miles a week, just on Saturdays and Sundays. I am definately going to get rid of these garbage sprint springs, but Do you think AGX w. maybe a 1.5 drop would be ok w. Groundcontrols? At least some what more bearable?

blackvr4

Quoting CutlassJim:
AGX/Eibach in the front and Evo9 KYB/Tein in the rear. Stock size(195/60?) snow tires on stock rims.

DSCN2327.jpg

That is a perfect ride height! I wish mine sat like that one.

I have KYB AGX and DSM megan springs, absolutely am not happy with it. I want something higher and that rides way better and sits even. Here are pics of mine

hdr32__tonemapped.jpg

bdg5.jpg

Sorry the closest side profile pictures I have.

Tre3zy

Quoting 4Grim:
KYB AGX/ GVR4 Ground Control specific coilovers/ Evo 8 Enkie 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza's

PA091572.jpg

wat spring rate do your run in the ground control springs? and do you rub?

I don't under stand the point of this thread. If you have a spring and strut combo it makes sense to post a picture(because the height is static) but if you have coilovers it doesn't matter. You can be at whatever height you want with that.

Are you more interested in springs to just put on? If you like how one of these cars looks and its really low, then buy coilovers.

OMFGeofffff

I was more interested to see how cars look with a specific spring/strut combo and how the ride quality was. Plus I figured people loved looking at lowered vr4's.

NateCrisman

Quoting crankwalk:
I don't under stand the point of this thread. If you have a spring and strut combo it makes sense to post a picture(because the height is static) but if you have coilovers it doesn't matter. You can be at whatever height you want with that.

Are you more interested in springs to just put on? If you like how one of these cars looks and its really low, then buy coilovers.

Nail meet Head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

The thing I think most of us are saying is there is no magic suspension that's going to let you significantly lower the car and it still ride soft and comfortable. A few people have said that AGX shocks don't like to be significantly lowered, and tend to blow out. When you lower a "drop in replacement" shock, you are going to be running the shock in a stiffer part of the valving all the time. (shocks are valved to get progressivly stiffer as they compress, so when your running it 2" into the stroke..it's going to be way stiffer/faster). Obviously you end up with less wheel travel and less shock travel. Ground control "coilovers" are really nothing more than an adjustable spring perch. While they do adjust the ride height, you are still doing the same thing as normal lowering springs: reducing your shock travel as you lower the car.

Real coilovers: megan, D2, Tein, hotbits...ect all adjust ride height by threading the shock body into the vehicle mount. Meaning that you can adjust the ride height of the car without changing the shock travel or preload on the spring. In theory, this should help the ride quality, BUT the honest truth is any of the "real coilovers" are way stiffer than any bolt on replacment shock and lowering spring. I know my D2 coilovers are absolutely retarded stiff and the ride is more like a gocart than a comfortable car. The 24 or 36 adjustments for shock valving seem to be worthless as far as ride quality go, it makes no difference.

turbowop

Teins and Hotbits adjust the spring perch, not the body into the mounting point. FYI

Preload on the springs stays the same however. Only the helper spring gets compressed more or less depending on where the spring perch is adjusted to and it's so soft it has no bearing on how stiff the overall spring rate is.

Last edited:

H05TYL

That's if you get the budget tein's, get the decent ones and they are "proper" base adjustable.

turbowop

I guess my HA's are budget Teins? Back when I bought my coilovers, the only Teins that I remember having such an adjustment were the Flex's and those weren't exactly marketed as a high end coilover.

H05TYL

I've got HA's in the back of my vr4, they are no longer listed so figured they were re-branded as the 'super street' model.

type flex appear to be the next step up, then mono flex, drift spec, racing spec, and so on...

CutlassJim

Quoting turbophein:
Quoting CutlassJim:
AGX/Eibach in the front and Evo9 KYB/Tein in the rear. Stock size(195/60?) snow tires on stock rims.

DSCN2327.jpg

Perfect Height!

I must admit that the car rides PERFECT for my taste. Just stiff enough to be sporty and make the car not feel too heavy and soft enough to not jar the sh*t out of you over every bump. Also have a Whiteline 26mm rear sway bar and it handles mint.

turbowop

Quoting H05TYL:
I've got HA's in the back of my vr4, they are no longer listed so figured they were re-branded as the 'super street' model.

type flex appear to be the next step up, then mono flex, drift spec, racing spec, and so on...

Um, no. The SS series is the cheapo lineup. The HA's retailed for twice as much and have a lot more features. Just because a coilover doesn't have height adjustability separate from the spring perch doesn't make it entry level. Again, the Hotbits are also the same way and those are probably the best coilovers available for the GVR4 short of some custom Ohlins.

blackvr4

Hey guys, I am kind of curious what you suspension gurus think is the best spring for the VR4? I am riding on DSM megan springs and absolutely hate it, it's too low and its way too soft. I just want something that will lower the car a little more than stock and ride more aggressively than stock., but I also want the car to sit even too. Some of the pictures I have seen in the past of various suspension set ups the back always sits a smidgen higher than the front and that would drive me nuts. Thanks for any input

Last edited:

turbofonz

Evo 8 struts, Tein S Tech springs.

52555.jpg

52556.jpg

195/65/15" snow tires, so slightly taller than stock sidewall.

I would of prefered lower, but it's defineately better than my GR-2/H&R setup. Much less body roll, and a lot firmer, but not overly stiff.

Pics with my FN01R-C's will be up soon enough, when they get out of the powder coater shop.

CutlassJim

^ Wow why are your S techs SO much lower than mine? You Talon is sweet but that is way too slammed for me.

turbofonz

Sure you have Stechs and not Htechs?

Evo's with Stechs are usually pretty damn low.

CutlassJim

No I am not. I got the converted set from Tuners Nation and that's what it said they have. Either way I'm happy with how they sit/ride.

turbofonz

Are the springs bright green or greyish bronzish color?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned