The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lost another alternator.

Barnes

You could give CubCrafters a call. They might have some of the red silcone tubing in stock. I remember we used to have it most of the times in various sizes.

Guys how and where do you relocate the alternator?

Could somebody point me to the thread, or at least cite the thread title?
I was trying to search for it but no luck.

Thanks
-Max

mitsuturbo

Has anyone had to replace a "relocated" alternator yet? How difficult is it? How the hell would you get it out without pulling the intake manifold?

raptorWagon

It's probably just going to take some tetris skills to get it out, imo I would think getting the alternator in and out of there is easier than it was just trying to pull the compressor out, when I removed all my AC stuff.

btw, I just noticed you revived a year old thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

mitsuturbo

I figured after a year, (and searching brought this thread up) maybe someone has had to replace a relocated alternator.

Did you manage to get an AC compressor out without pulling the intake manifold?!

brisvr4

I just replaced my relocated alt. It died due to swallowing a large amount of PS fluid prior to the relocation to the back of the block.
Pretty easy job for us guys with RHD, once quick twist and it's out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

misterfixit

Try a heat shield on the isolator bushes off the injector rail. wouldn't that isolate most of the conduncted heat transfer. Just need some fibreglass washer under the bolt heads then.

Rich

raptorWagon

Quoting mitsuturbo:

Did you manage to get an AC compressor out without pulling the intake manifold?!

Yes, the FSM doesn't even state needing to pull the intake manifold to do so, just took some rotating as I pulled it out. I did unbolt the injector harness from where it was mounted to give me a little extra room and that was it.

mitsuturbo

Quoting brisvr4:
I just replaced my relocated alt. It died due to swallowing a large amount of PS fluid prior to the relocation to the back of the block.
Pretty easy job for us guys with RHD, once quick twist and it's out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, thanks. I was just looking at the RHD engine bay, thinking to myself "Jesus, it would be easy if the brake booster was on the other side, like on a Mirage."

GreenGSX

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Has anyone had to replace a "relocated" alternator yet? How difficult is it? How the hell would you get it out without pulling the intake manifold?

You have to pull the intake manifold. I find pulling the intake easier then digging an alternator out of the front of a stock car but that's because I've had lots of practice pulling mine. For those of you getting an alternator relocation kit check to see if they have an option for a steel bracket instead of an aluminum one. I've life tested a few aluminum ones and the steel ones are in a league of there own.

Also, just to agree with pretty much everything in this thread heat kills the alternators. Once I moved mine to the backside of the block I haven't lost one in over three years. When it was in front I would loose at least one a year normally when I was as far from home as physically possible. Build a heat shield, move it to the back, run a duct etc..etc. just do what you can to keep it as cool as possible.

Other options are thermo tec wrap for the exhaust. All of my hot pipes are wrapped and I put some gold foil on my ps heat shield. I also picked up a turbo blanket from boost logic. Didn't you used to have a vented hood? Would you consider another one?

Wop made a good suggestion too, send some cool air to your new alternator with some ducting if you can find room. I may do the same thing if I have to.

Aso for replacing an alternator that has been relocated to where ac previously was.... Instead of pulling the entire intake mani why not just remove upper IC pipe and the starter, then slide the alt out that way (assuming that you have removed your egr stuff a long time ago).

Last edited by a moderator:

mitsuturbo

This is what i was thinking.. out over the rear engine mount bracket. I'd love to get my hands on a "real" vented hood. They're simply not available. I've never had one, either. I've already considered some shielding for the alternator, as the ac compressor area seems to be a collection point for gunk, and i'd rather keep my alt clean AND dry. That little chunk of plastic on the subframe that is supposed to keep grease and such from flinging up on the firewall area is going to be replaced with something much, much larger.

Thanks for the input on this. It's good to know the relocation does more than just free up some space up front. I bought the relo kit off ebay for about 1/2 price, so i can't complain that it's aluminum instead of steel. However, i could MAKE one out of steel, now that i'll have an aluminum one to measure/model it from.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned