The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator or regulator?

EfiniX

So my alternator crapped out a few months back and I replaced it. Sadly, I didn't have time to wait for an OEM unit and just grabbed what oriely had on the shelf. I notice that my voltage never goes over 13.8, and at idle, it's around 13.5. WOT pulls, about the same as idle.

This morning I had on lights and accessories and my AFR was lean, an indicator that my voltage had dropped. Sure enough, 13.1.

So did I get a crap alternator and my regulator is hosed up, or are these cars picky and I should have gone with something that puts out more amps than stock?

MellowVR4

Usually its the regulator that cant take the heat.

thomcasey

Is your downpipe wrapped?

EfiniX

Down pipe isn't wrapped, but I do have a steel heat shield installed. Might not be enough I suppose. Is that the running theory, then? I know I've seen a thread with a product that relocates the regulator...

Also, what's the correct amperage for these cars?

thomcasey

Stock VR4 alternator is 90 amps. Mine has no issues running with a 75amp. Yes, the heat causes the regulator to sag and fail. The alternators are poorly designed for cooling being that the cooling blades are on the inside.

EfiniX

Hmm... Well I'll have to check it when it's cool to see what it's putting out. Easy enough to shield the alternator more. Just hoping the regulator isn't already spent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MellowVR4

One time the alternator crapped on me, changed it with a napa reman, and it dumped on me 2days later.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts