The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Looking for real world numbers: How long does (did) your built motor last?

alansupra94

Looking for numbers regarding how long your built motor lasted. I am curious to see how long they last. Obviously I understand factors such as power level, clearances and usage come into play but I am just seeing how people are making out.

Thanks,
Alan

EHmotorsports

DD for 5 years with 348hp. only reason im building a new head right now is because the year old T belt snapped. but alot has to do with how hard you are on the car and maintenance.

I build race engines of all types but its common practice to tear down and check everything out after the race season is over.

Last edited:

alansupra94

Nice! I am hoping to DD my car and race around every once in a while.

JamesFoster

The 2.3L in my last Galant, which I pulledoutof my old DSM, had roughly 15k on it total when I sold the car, and it was purring along nicely when I sold it. I did however have to do a head gasket on it, but I think that was because of a crappy HG, and too much boost.

5OF2k

It depends on a LOT of things, honestly.....

My old 2.0 I built for my Talon with an Eagle/Wiseco combo made 466 on 91 pump gas and a 62-1 back in '06. I did a mix of beating the piss out of it and DD'ing for almost 2 years before I sold it. Then, the guy I sold it to sold it to a HS kid who totalled it, and a couple local DSM buddies went to the junkyard and pulled it apart. The head is happily on top a 790WHP Talon, and the bottom end is happily in a DD'd 1gb 50 timmed Talon that goes between CO, NY and CA a few times a year. Last I'd heard the head is still working just fine, but MAY need new valve seals, and the bottom end is still going strong, never missing a beat, using oil or leaking. This is all after almost 7 years(DAMN TIEM FLIES!!)of not the most ideal conditions and so-on.

My only point, is it all depends on who does the machine work and assembling of the engine as to how well it's going to work and how long it's going to last. You really need to do your research as to which setup you want, your power goals, and finding a local machinist/builder taht has a reputation good enough to build an engine that's going to last AND perform.

An engine will only last as long as it's built to.

Hope that helps, GL!

-Jake

EMX5636

I have about 16k worth of DD/track use on my engine. Hasn't been apart since the day it fired up except to check the rod bolts for stretch around 12k (aluminum rods). Has seen between 450 and 508whp since pretty much day one. 15w50 Mobil 1 oil inside.

prove_it

I picked up a certified 30k mile engine back in 02. Ran it for about 15k then built it due to it sitting for 6 years. It had all measurable specs in range, so pretty much threw parts in it. I'm going on 30k with eagle/wiseco combo at 8.5:1 comp. I did have a massive oil leak suddenly and caused the pump to go dry and toast a bearing at 26k. I'm on new bottom end bearings, no machine work needed. now and been making between 280whp-360whp the whole time. I beat the piss out of it. Redline everyday at 8k rpms, I'm always beating on it. I use rotella, and change it once it changes colors. I've tuned a lot with this motor, which included plenty of knock 4 years ago learning how to dial in timing. I'm sure at 350whp with a s16g it will last a long time. A bigger turbo and more power will most likely kill it faster. (duh)

It comes down to the builder, the degree of analism when assembling, and the parts selected. Cheap parts will fail, half ass builds will fail poor tuning will fail. I've seen built dd engines hit 60k. Forged pistons do not last forever though, but I don't think anyone has ever run a built engine for 100k to find out. Usually it's parted out or blown up by then.

austinawd

I have 27,000ish miles on my Eagle/Wiseco bottom end that hasn't been touched since I built it and put it in the car. I've poped 2 head gaskets, and have gone through different cams/springs and 2 turbos. It was a 400hp for its first 15k, 600 for 8k, then the last 4k are around 650-700. Those last 12k miles have been on 38-42psi and rapping it out to over 9000RPMs, even touching 10000 a few times in 1st gear. I'm counting down the time 'til boom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you build it well, maintain it well, and treat it nicely, then it should last quite a while.

DR1665

I ran a fully built 420A in my Talon for a couple years before selling the car.

10.5:1CR Venolias, Eagle rods, race ported head, Ti springs/retainers, 5-angle valve job, Crower 2 cams, balanced out to 15krpm. Never dyno'd it, but knew a couple other guys with similar builds putting 180 to the wheels. Quite a step up from the 100whp they make stock.

Ran it on a stock ECU most of the last year. Drove it back and forth, Phoenix to Kansas City, with a blown headgasket and *still* got 38mpg highway.

Prior to selling the Talon (to buy 464/1000), I sold the engine to a buddy who ran it in his daily driver for much of the last 5 years. He recently sold the car with the engine in it to some kid who didn't know what he had. (sigh)

I miss Daisy.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned