The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

light surging?

dsm10o0

I've been having this problem ever since I got the car. All of the lights inside and out surges when in idle. What would cause this? I've been ignoring it but now its getting annoying.

GSX_TC

Alternator is going out

Brunoboy

I agree with mike, nico , is it a dsm alternator in your car or a gvr4? 75amps vs 90amps and check all your grounds.
-Shane

dsm10o0

Yeah, it's a DSM alternator. Been looking for a 90 amp but if I find one, I don't have cash but if I do I can't find any. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Brunoboy

I bought my replacement at Kragen, and its been working for the past year and a half with no problems.

GSX_TC

yeah the oreilly/Vatozone ones are pretty decent. and when you get them they come with lifetime warranty's

Diego

I have a spare VR4 alt, just pay shipping as it would need rebuilt/refurbished.

Lmk

had similar issue on my pathfinder, lights would surge, Then they would get brighter as the rpm's went higher. Till it went out.

I had a guy look at it who rebuilds alternators, he said voltage regulator, surging lights, especially in correlation with jumpy idle is a sign of a bad voltage regulator.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned