The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lean'er wideband #s in colder temps

MellowVR4

Ill try and upload it tonight.

MellowVR4

seems like im getting like 2.0 degrees of knock at lower rpm's. I think I just need to lower timing in those areas.
I can do this in the timing tables while the car is off but in the on position, and go to the direct access while the car is running?

Also when I did a slight pull, my WB read 13.0 but link read 11.5? not sure what to believe.

Last edited:

ghostinthevr4

Quoting MellowVR4:
So, When I wanna add fuel do I just go to the fuel settings and add % on the RPM'S which im running lean on? That would be the obvious I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

You could add fuel by changing the appropriate hertz sliders or you can add fuel by using the fuel sliders. You should really focus on one problem at a time, I don't know what your timing looks like but if you load up 2g maps you should be fine load the octane and timing tables. You can also lower your boost to see if the knock with go away so you don't have to mess with the tune. What wideband are you using and how old is it!

It sounds like your wide band is going bad that would be your 1st problem to fix in my book. No more WOT pulls until you figure it out, I have an AEM wideband and the symptoms your describing is the exact thing my wideband was doing.

I purchased a new wideband and it fixed the problem the car runs ten times better, for what it's worth I'm using narrow band simulation with my wideband.

MellowVR4

Im using the innovative mtxL I think? its going on 2yrs old now.

MellowVR4

Just ordered a new sensor, should have it today, and try it to see if its my sensor. im sure I probably need a new one anyway.

MellowVR4

update:

Put a new sensor in caibrated and good to go, will see how she does in the morning. Also I cleaned my mess of wires from accessories going to my battery, Put a remote fuse block /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif didnt know why I didnt think of that before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

What sensor does it use? It's kind of nice that my PLX uses a Bosch sensor that I can pick up a block away at the local Autozone for ~$50.

MellowVR4

Yeah I got the 17014 bosch from a parts store. Put it on, and still getting the same thing. Im gona look today at the logs once I do one to see. In the end I think my old sensor was fine.

MellowVR4

I always forget how to do that, gonna have to google it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

MellowVR4

Its probably my timing and fuel settings. which I REALLY don't know what im getting my self into when it comes to that. I tried to log it and see where I was hitting even the slightest knock, Adjusted it, seemed to work but then I just hit it in a different area. I'm just confused at this point.

MellowVR4

Bringing this back to life with another issue im having with my wide band...

So My wideband has been acting weird lately. car starts fine, I let the wideband do its heating cycle before starting the car and when I start driving the car and make a pull the wideband either goes wacky with the numbers and then it goes to E8 mode which means its a bad sensor, or it goes to 22.4 whether im in idle or on the throttle. Pull over turn the car off and restart it and sometimes the heating(HTR)cycle doesn't seem to go away on the wideband until I start driving it again, then it most likely does what it does previously. Since I have it setup in link to simulate the o2 with the wideband so when it goes into E8 mode its like my car doesn't have any o2 signal and make my car run like sh*t... I've changed my sensor in the past because of this same issue and still doesn't really change anything.

Would I be better off if I just run a standard o2 sensor in the stock location and get my signal normally and have my wideband reading the A/F instead of it doing both simulating and reading numbers? Im just trying to get all of the bugs out before I go get tuned next month.

Any advice would help me out!

Thanks in advanced.

transparentdsm

have you checked the wiring? make sure its not a bad connection. i had an AEM that had a weird connection in the back of the gauge and it would short out from time to time. got an innovate and rewired it and haven't had an issue since. also what wideband. sorry i did not read the thread at all this is the first thing i read.

MellowVR4

I have a innovate also, Ill check the wiring to make sure their is no issue their.

transparentdsm

yeah just go through and check all the connections and also check where the wiring goes through the firewall and make sure the grommet is in there and hasn't fallen out or ripped and cut the wires.

MellowVR4

Good points! Thanks dude

GSTwithPSI

How old is the sensor?

FYI, you can typically pick up new sensors at AutoZone for under $50 bucks: click
WP_003239.jpg

WP_003240.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned