The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just triple checking: 2G pistons in a 1G block - What do I need?

alansupra94

Well I decided to spend the money on my other project car so I went with a cheap alternative for now.

I have a 4G63 6 bolt w/ 2G pistons.

My question is, do I need anything special or will regular 2G piston rings work fine? I am pretty sure the answer is a yes but I really don't feel like finding out the opposite answer after starting the car.

I will probably be getting new rod and main bearings as well.

What brand is good? NPR? Topline?

Thanks,
Alan

broxma

They will work fine, however, are they already on the rods?

/brox

89Mirageman

You have to watch some of the after market 2g pistons because they are the same CR as the 1g pistons, not 8.5:1 like the oem ones.

Also you have to factor in the cost of machining your stock 1g rods. In my opinion it really isn't worth it but thats just me.

broxma

The Rod machining issue was my concern. After the cost of the new pistons and machine work, you're just a few bucks shy of getting aftermarket. The cost of simply pressing the new aftermarket pistons on is way less than the cost of boring the rods to the 2G pins.

/brox

AWDnoobie

Here is a link from DSMGraveyard on their Frankenstein rod piston combo. Hope the info helps a bit. Im basically doing same thing, im using a JE piston tho with a 6bolt rod

alansupra94

Machining was already done.

Only thing I need to pick up is some main and rod bearings. Any recommendation on a set? NPR good?

Thanks guys.

alansupra94

^^^

Sweet.

I went on DSMgraveyard and found a Clevite Bearing Set for $90.

click

What in god's name are flange bearings? I have never heard of them before so please excuse my ignorance.

Muskrat

I'm just taking a wild guess, but maybe by "flange bearing" they mean the crank thrust bearings?

alansupra94

The real question is do I need them?

Thanks,
Alan

EDIT:

I talked to a few people and those bearings are usually included with main bearings

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

At this point you could just drop in some evo 8-9 pistons which are forged but I have no idea what your goals are but it is nice to have pistons that will take some abuse.

alansupra94

To be honest, I wont be going over 400hp and I will be more than likely running stock boost for a while to make sure everything is okay.

I mean I thought about getting EVO 8-9 pistons but I mean since I am not going to be abusing it, didn't seem like a necessity.

Possibly in the future if I go bigger, I might rebuild my other block thats chilling in my garage but time will only tell at this point.

broxma

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
At this point you could just drop in some evo 8-9 pistons which are forged but I have no idea what your goals are but it is nice to have pistons that will take some abuse.

Just to be clear, the Evo pistons are not actually forged. They are a different type of cast and are strOnger, but not forged. Happy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/brox

Last edited:

alansupra94

Yes they are stringer for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

On a side note, where would be the best place to tap an oil pressure sensor for a gauge?

I am thinking of removing the stock one (since when don't have a stock gauge) and putting it there. Would this change anything?

Thanks,
Alan

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned