The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

just ordered ecm link

alansupra94

I built my logger for $5. Pretty simple stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

onesickcrx

Dsmlink is a great investment congrats on your purchase. I loved mine I started with a Maf-translator which worked really well as my first time playing with mitsu's. Then dsmlink which was great but at the time left me wanting more so now I have a AEM just started playing with it I really like it so far.. but dsmlink would be my 2nd choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yeti

I don't understand

Do you want me to return ecxm link and ask for money back
Just not set it up as a logger I'M NOT aDJUSTING ANYTHING
The mechanic I hired is fluent with ecm link so he said it will help a lot when repairing the vehicle.
I don't want to waste time buy buying a logger at 1/5 the price and end up selling it later.
I'll adjust settings once everything is tip top.
I'm gonna buy it one way or the other why not when the cash isn't needed.

Also I know I have bitten off to much to chew so I will be learning.

And what's going to brake once I plug the ecm link in and drive around with a laptop.
Once again NOTHING WILL Be ADJUSTED.

For those who are trying to help please be more specific of how I'm going to brake things.

I have been poking at DSM's for 10 years now and I am still learning new things. I made my PDA logger cable out of old TV parts =\

Grats on the DSMlink purchase, I will be going this route once I can justify the cost. I will be building a cigar box computer hooked to my navigation which will be hooked to the DSMlink with some very compact wireless keyboard and mouse. This will also serve as a mp3 storage unit for muh tunz.

However, these guy have a very valid point. Most of what I have learned was by trial, error and lots of money. That and the endless information on DSM sites. I think the point everyone is trying to make is the 495$ spent on your last purchase could have gone to new seals, wiring and other trouble shooting / problems. While I don't know your financial status and skill level let alone your car setup, your mechanic idea is a step in the right direction.

I hope things work out for you and you enjoy the GVR4 experience.

Brunoboy

Quoting yeti:
I don't understand

Do you want me to return ecxm link and ask for money back
Just not set it up as a logger I'M NOT aDJUSTING ANYTHING
The mechanic I hired is fluent with ecm link so he said it will help a lot when repairing the vehicle.
I don't want to waste time buy buying a logger at 1/5 the price and end up selling it later.
I'll adjust settings once everything is tip top.
I'm gonna buy it one way or the other why not when the cash isn't needed.

Also I know I have bitten off to much to chew so I will be learning.

And what's going to brake once I plug the ecm link in and drive around with a laptop.
Once again NOTHING WILL Be ADJUSTED.

For those who are trying to help please be more specific of how I'm going to brake things.

Its BREAK, not Brake.......maybe better grammar and punctuation will help understand you a bit better.
-Shane

boostedinaz

Quoting geno:

However, these guy have a very valid point. Most of what I have learned was by trial, error and lots of money. That and the endless information on DSM sites. I think the point everyone is trying to make is the 495$ spent on your last purchase could have gone to new seals, wiring and other trouble shooting / problems. While I don't know your financial status and skill level let alone your car setup, your mechanic idea is a step in the right direction.

Correct. What we are saying is that while logging is important, getting to the car in good running order is FAR more important. If you have already purchased DSMLink then keep it but fight the temptation to "play" with it.

AnotherNewb

I think everyones concern is that you are going to go too far to see what something will do, like when you get new speakers and you have to turn all the knobs all the way in every direction.

Some of the things improper tuning will do:
too much timing will induce knock. Wanna know what an engine that was destroyed by knock looks like, take the claw end of a hammer and proceed to smash a piston unto you can't stand up. Repeat that to the head.
too lean, take an oxy/acetelene torch and burn a hole in your piston.
how quickly can this happen. Instantly. Before you can let off the gas.

That should discourage you from *tweeking* anything too much. Also, if you plan on tuning you will need atleast a wideband o2 gauge. Without that you don't know what your *tweeks* are doing. Logging is important and ecmlink is perfect for that, just don't give into temptation and start changing things until you have the mods and.understanding to support those changes.

yeti

I agree and I was reading about detonation long before I owned a turbo vehicle
Sounds like scary stuff
And yes you are discouraging me from adjusting settings and even more if other people adjust my settings,I will be learning and will have someone show me how to do it. So if the engine does blow I can't blame anyone but me.

And I already turned down someone who said tthey will tune my car for free
I said no sir ....I want the car in tip top condition before more tuning is required.

One more question
Can I create a tune to get good gas mileage by lowering air/fuel mixtures?

Last edited:

alansupra94

Quoting yeti:
I agree and I was reading about detonation long before I owned a turbo vehicle
Sounds like scary stuff
And yes you are discouraging me from adjusting settings and even more if other people adjust my settings,I will be learning and will have someone show me how to do it. So if the engine does blow I can't blame anyone but me.

And I already turned down someone who said tthey will tune my car for free
I said no sir ....I want the car in tip top condition before more tuning is required.

One more question

Tuning for MPG is not for your average user. Saving 3-4mpg really isn't worth sacrificing your tune. There are better ways to pick up gas mileage.

Andy_S

Quoting yeti:

One more question

Lower numbers are richer. You would want higher/leaner values for mileage. Lean burn can be dangerous though. If you are worried about mileage, just make sure you have a good o2 sensor and tune the trims as close to zero as possible. You want 14.7 when cruising. If you are really, really worried about mpg's you could lower the boost and timing and tune for some 87 octane.

Tre3zy

by lowering you mean making it rich? you want your AFR to be around 14-15 at cruise if you have a wide band to check it with....

click

thats a good site to read about how you calibrate fuel trims, injectors, and maf.... you should check it out....

onesickcrx

To answer your question yes you can lean the car out a bit and get great gas milage. I think my highest was 31 or 32 mpg all highway this was done on dsmlink also.

yeti

Thanks for the advice I'm looking for a wideband now the innovate lc1 is what I was told to get because the aem one I was gonna get isn't that accurate when tuning.

And I will also not be doing any mpg or tuning untill all my probs are fixed

Tre3zy

the lc1 is alot more accurate than the aem one.... im running an aem wideband and its pretty accurate....

acidrumz

Congrats. I'm learning to tune by myself and it gets frustrating at times BUT you do see all captured values and that helps while adjusting or tunning. i also have the aem ems too, but i'll play around with the v3 for a bit.
good luck.

alansupra94

Quoting FavNumber:
Dont worry Yeti ECMlink has tons of support, if YOU decided to buy it for YOU'RE car with YOU're money then who cares.

Just make sure you're taking it slowly, and not jumping head over heels. I for one dont think 'yohr a redard' at all just new to thiss stuff. Keep asking questins and learning, the people who are willing to help will help and bashers will bash even the ones who are just looking out for your own good.

I have seen people miss-use your but I have never seen someone miss-use you're /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

vtecds1

Quoting Tre3zy:

click

thats a good site to read about how you calibrate fuel trims, injectors, and maf.... you should check it out....

Off topic, but I use to watch that guy all the time at the track. He's one of the few that is actually fast out there.

yeti

ok just got ecmlink AND I CANT REMOVE OLD EPROM CHIP
I TRYED TUGGING ON IT AND ALL I SEE IS THE BOARD FLEXING
i cannot seperate the eprom chip from the SOCKET DO I NEED TO STICK A SCREWDRIVER IN THEIR TO SEPERATE THE EPROM CHIP FROM THE SOCKET?

onesickcrx

I am scared to tell you yes lol. Take a picture and post it up then someone will help you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned