The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Simple and stupid question regarding with ECU

Ethan

Hello guys,

I am a Noob/Dummy who don't understand about ECU tuning.

My question is how to connect ECU and Laptop to look and monitor/adjust the things. Which kind of tools and software I will need?
I heard abt ECMlink, but, I live in developing country and hard to get that service. (I already install ECM link in my laptop, but don't know what to do after that)

Can someone help me, please?

James

Off topic

But it would be cool if they implimented Bluetooth into the ECU chip and you didn't need all the wiring or cable to tune from the laptop

Barnes

Ethan, if you have a factory ECU,which it appears you have, you need one of two things; 1)TMOlogger/PC logger and a laptop or 2)A Palm logger.

The TMOlogger/PC logger might be the best option as you already have a laptop. You just need to buy a cable and the software. Like through these guys: http://www.dsmcables.com/1g-nopalm.php

Ethan

Thz for idea James.

My problem is.....
We don't have service place for ECU in our country. (One of the reason I am so virgin with ECU things)
And, I am Noob regarding with those control unit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So, I want to know, what I could DIY in simple way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Ethan

Barnes, thz alot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
I will ask my frd who live in another country to contact them.

It is hard to do direct import things to my country. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wizardawd

Is ECMLink compatible with the JDM ECU?

Wiz

Barnes

You *could* build a cable a yourself perhaps, but I would just buy a cable and software from the site I linked. If they won't ship overseas, I could take delivery local, and re-ship to you.

Does your laptop have a serial port? Or only USB?

Ethan

Thz alot, Barnes.

Ah, mine is only with USB.

Btw: will it work on JDM Galant? If it is work. What I need to do is run the software in computer, plug the cable and done. Right? Will there be compatible issue.
Or do I need to buy the Palm?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I also send mail to [email protected] for those question and shipping.

Tektic --> I will check those too.

Thz, guys ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited:

Ethan

Another question here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What about MMCdroid? Will it work? How can I have the adapter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jnava

Staff member
There is a thread and as more people receive the bluetooth adapter, they realize that the software and hardware are still in Beta. Thus, your money is better spent on actual working data loggers.

DR1665

For the record, a distinction should be made between tuning and logging.

MMCD is great for logging, but it's not exactly a tuning solution. All it does is show you what the stock ECU sees. (Whether or not it sees the JDM ECU is beyond me.)

I used the TMO logger. It's free, runs on a Windows laptop, and does everything you would ever need a basic, old school logger to do.

Building the cable should be possible in any developed country with pieces from a computer/electronic shop. If I remember right, you need the ALDL connector, a null modem adapter, and a Keyspan USA-19HS serial-to-USB adapter (since you need to use USB instead of serial). That's maybe US$30 in parts. Check Amazon for pictures of what these things look like so you can see if your local computer store has them.

For actual TUNING on a budget - from someplace like Myanmar, where it's not exactly a piece of cake - I'd suggest looking into the "DSM ECU" group on Yahoo. It's an open source project to extract and modify the stock ECU programming. Then you just need to buy some blank EPROM chips (or take them from old Mitsubishi ECUs at the salvage yard), buy an EPROM chip burner (old school technology, probably costs next to nothing at this point), and burn your own EPROM chips.

TMO and DSM ECU should be the least expensive, most universally possible solution. Keep in mind, once you start adjusting ECU settings, you increase the risk of blowing up your engine EXPONENTIALLY. Make sure you know what you're doing (or find a local shop which does).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Boos929

do you need a eprom ecu to use this logger for 30 bucks seems worth it just to know how my cars running

Ethan

Woww! Thz alot DR1665. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Got TMO logger software.
Now, what I have to do is....
Go to computer hardware shop, purchase ----
-ALDL connector
-Null modern
-Serial to USB cable
Then, connect those from OBD1 port to USB port. Right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Btw: Can I use ALDL to USB cable? Null modern is must? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I will try to have them after this long holiday (Now, having new year festival in our country) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Ethan

Hello, I got a situation here.

Can't find proper ALDL connector for OBD1, here. And, can't also have proper null adapter for that too (Local computer store said they don't understand what I asking).
A car shop said, they don't have ALDL connecter, but, they could try for custom wiring.

What they need to know is Wiring diagram from my OBD1 port, and ask me that could they have example of how to build adapter?

So, could someone help me with "where can I find those diagram and example", please?

Diagram I found so far. But, I don't understand how to use those diagram to make cable. Can someone help the dummy?

From VFAQ

Or, is there a way to order a cable? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ethan

btw: Will following work for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

From DSM

Just connect as the pic or needs to do more? What should I take care about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DSMcable replied to me that, their cable won't work on mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts