The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

just need to know if this is a 3 or 4 bolt rear end (pic)

scottinalaska

I have read that some 92 models came with a 4 bolt rear end. Although mine is a 92, this looks like a 3 bolt one if I am going by axles bolts.
Also, is there an LSD spool I can put in mine to minimize all the work of changing it? I need more traction in ice racing.

fuel

ALL USDM GVR-4s were 3-bolt, it was the DSM that was 4-bolt but I am unsure of the years, think it was 1G-B 92ish onwards but I'm sure someone will correct me.

The JDM GVR-4 had 4-bolt from 1990 onwards but only the Evolution models. They also had LSD's - a 1 way clutch pack LSD for the E38A RS without 4WS or a viscous LSD for the E39A with 4WS.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
1G 4 bolt was 92-94 MY.

scottinalaska

That is great info. I have a person near me getting rid of three turbo cars. All about 1990: AWD Talon, AWD Eclipse, and FWD Eclipse. They are mostly complete with one totally complete. It was project that was never finished by a cousin who is now in jail and will stay there a few more years. For 500 bucks, I can have all three.
Question: Is there anything in this pile that might upgrade my Galant? I am hoping that maybe the Talon has a LSD rear end, maybe? The snow is too deep to take a look, so I am counting on you guys to tell me to keep walking or have hope!
thanks,

Scott

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Might have LSD in the AWD cars, but if they are all 90s they won't be 4 bolts. For your type of activity though you probably don't really need a 4 bolt.

You could do a 5 bolt hub conversion, along with larger diameter wheels if you desire or don't already have it.

thomcasey

You can check in the drivers door jam as an initial check. There will be an orange sticker if the car came LSD from factory. But, if it has been repainted, it could be gone. But, you will not be able to tell if any parts have been swapped out.

biglady112

The differentials say LSD right on them. If it has popup headlights and has not been modified then they are 3 bolt rear ends.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
What kind of tires are you running on the ice? Ice style winters and or studded versions of same?

Like Icey was mentioning, the 4 bolt rear axle setup was needed for launch type manoveurs with a great deal of traction.

Something tells us, you have a little less traction than that. If it is more about grab and go aspects of traction/losing traction, I bet something else goes before rear axles, like pieces in your clutch assembly. But I only speculate on what "could" happen in a drivetrain being wacked back and forth in that scenario.

You gotta give us the skinny and post some pics of said events! wink wink

slugsgomoo

90-91 DSM's that don't have ABS had LSD 3 bolts, 1G's with ABS & galants all had non-LSD 3 bolts, and obviously 92+ DSM had the 4bolt LSD.

The downside to 1990's is that while many things would be useful from a spares perspective, their electronics are all janky garbage that requires a lot of rewiring that is not worth it, so keep that in mind.

scottinalaska

So, is it possible to swap out the guts of an LSD 3 bolt into my 3 bolt rear end carrier?
Good ice racing yesterday. I use Toyo Observe GSi 5 tires. Only a 2012 Suburu STi beat me, but I was on his tail within 20 feet the last 5 laps! Passing is the tense part because no one really wants to get scraped! But for the most part, we made it another race day here in Alaska. The Galant is rather impressive and people gather around each time I exit since I am running with and ahead of 20K+ dollar cars. Very little body roll and nice flat cornering. It gets revved to redline a few times. And at the straights, we'll be almost 60 in third before tossing it into a 20mph corner and powering out in 2nd. Believe it or not, a 93 Talon, stock to the bone (with excellent nonstudded ice tires as we all have) is the most formidable, but he snow-banked it on the 6th lap. The Talon has a 4 bolt and LSD rear. So he really powers out of the corner beautifully! Thus, my pursuit of just a little more wheel traction. Drivetrain wise, with all the ice giving way, I don't believe the drivetrains are stressed. They just rev up faster! I'll post a clip here shortly. Here is my daughter who drove one race as well. The car is literally in perfect shape, missing nothing but balance shafts with no dents and original paint all around. I lost my driver's dog leg trim behind the rear door on an "offtrack" excursion when i rushed a corner too fast, but picked it up undamaged afterwards. so that part you can just see, is missing. It's in the back seat.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes it is possible. There is at least one how-to on here about doing it with a 4-bolt rear, but the process is basically the same. You will need to press the drive gear from your rear end spool and put it on the LSD unit if you are retaining the 4WS.

Pay attention to the shimming when you exchange them and you may be able to put them in the housing with the LSD housing the same as removed. Also, if you want to ensure good reliability of the matched gears, you can remove your original ring gear from the old spool and put it on the LSD unit to keep the matched gear set.

Glad you are having fun and success with the car as intended!

fuel

^^ you would want the Evo/E38A RS plate type LSD rather than the weak viscous type LSD that the E39A Evolution or DSM has. You can't retain 4WS with a plate type LSD, but you can with the viscous LSD.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Thanks for posting pictures!

Looks like a whole lot of fun up there in the icey tundra. I can relate, as I look out the window at massive piles of snow. Haha.

That is a great grippy type tire, we have quite a few of our customers cars using them here. In fact we equipped my dads '15 Forester with the same setup and it handles great.

I've been running Pirelli Winter Carvings for the last few years on the Legacy wagon.

Glad to see you have some options for which rear components to work with.

I will say that the Subaru open front/plate style center/open rear diff setup in the automatics in nice for straight line acceleration in the snow and getting things to break loose, predictably and intentionally, to implement a drifting manoeuver. If I had a limited rear from a turbo model, it wouldn't change how my car reacts except that there would be more push from the rear (to a degree) and I plow through the thick and slippery stuff. I think you will enjoy having the rear end of your car pushing when you need it and or to compensate when the front isn't gripping as much.

How bad do the Galant's plow on the ice? Coming into a corner/decel, coming out of a corner/accel? Do you push more than the Subaru guys or is it just more driver style that seems to have two cars behaving a bit different out on the ice? I'm interested to hear your interpretation on how the car handles. There aren't as many people posting about how the car works in the loose and slippery stuff, as most builds (not all but) see mostly dry land warmer events. If you spend all day sideways while navigating your courses, I approve! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Vr4 Cylone 200hp
Vr4 Cylone 220hp

All 3 Bolt

Vr4 RS 240
4bold

scottinalaska

Flying Eagle, The Soobies have a power split option on their center dif. He runs it at 60 front 40 rear. But so he doesn't plow and understeer into the corners, he does the same thing I do - a Scandanavian flick. We are "stuck" with 50/50 split on the Galanats but with the excellent tires, the front holds fairly well. You look for snow in the corners and avoid the polished stuff to get those front tires to grip on around the corner. But once most of the corner is accomplished, power is poured on to near 7K, shift, every time. I take the corners in second, never first and hit third on the straight aways up to almost 60 before laying in on the ABS as I prepare another flick. The soobie will hit near 70 on the straightaways so it is driver touch to get the jump out of the corner without scrubbing speed by sliding it sideways more than is necessary. Drifting is great, but a good showboat drift won't necessarily gain you progress down the track. I believe if I had the Talon's LSD in the rear, I'd match a newer STi a lot closer. For now, we push each other and that is good!
How in the world does Malaysia have all those VR4 parts?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
They get all of Japan's cast off cars at end of life.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings