The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM RS bumper question

RedTwo

Quoting misterfixit:
Qoutong red two
"The way I read that is the E38A switched to 4 bolt axles and 3.909 ratio in 8910.1 - a full 10 months before the E39A received them."

not true.

90.03 was the changeover for the vr4 rs.
Thats from the tech information manual.

Richard

Looking at pages 2-3 & 2-4, It has a date that seems to say '89.10 for E38A SNPF4/RS in the tech manual too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I could probably get someone to translate this if you're keen.

Last edited:

misterfixit

Quoting red two
"Looking at pages 2-3 & 2-4, It has a date that seems to say '89.10 for E38A SNPF4/RS in the tech manual too
I could probably get someone to translate this if you're keen."

Maybe my bad... caps shows the companionflange change as follows.
e38a snpf4

e39a snpf4

e39a snpf

would be great to translate the passages that refer to 89.10 as the e38a is not referred to in the model table at thre front of the manual.

cheers

rich

fuel

Quoting misterfixit:

Look at the names and chassis codes! vr4 rs is e38a and e39a. but you will also see that e32ar e34ar e37a are 4wd also!

Now else where in the world there were many instances of different drivtrains mated with different bodies. As the next post said E38A refers to CHASSIS, but also to engine SIZE only. Ie e38a =2000cc 4wd, e39a = 2000cc 4wd 4ws, e37a = 1836cc 4wd e35a = 1836cc 2wd.

Am just being real picky here, but E34A is 4D65 1800cc Diesel Turbo and not AWD, and E32AR is a FWD driver training vehicle in Japan with dual pedals etc, same goes with E34AR.

E37A (MS-4) is a AWD version of the E32A, which has the 1755cc 4G37 (not 1836cc which is the 4G67) engine.

E39A was the chassis designation given to non turbo AWD 4G63 DOHC models (ie MX-4/VX-4) in Japan also, as they had 4WS.

NZ VR4 RS

i should of been clearer, i didnt think any one would think that a fwd or non turbo car was an rs vr4.

i didnt think i was taking credit for the brochure but stating i have had it on my site for about 7 years and yes i did get it from g force.

a factory 4wd turbo galant with an E38a chassis code is an rs galant not a e39a chassis code.

here is my chassis code
E38A-0002192

when was that made, it has the 4 bolt rear end with a plate lsd.

cplate.jpg

i happen to have a e39a sitting in my back yard that we just stripped for bits, its got the 4 bolt and all the stuff you think "rs" e39a have.

it aint a rs they are all white for a start this one is black.

i fact i have another late model rs in my garage right now , funny its white as well and has a e38a chassis code.

must be a fluke from the factory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

NZ VR4 RS

here is the chassis plate from the other one.

what the different numbers on bottom right mean i dont know plus being a higher number was it produced after mine.

then why does it not have the vent in the bottom of spoiler.

and the two togther, the other on doesnt have the extra vent on the bumper and the stickers on the front guards are not orignal.

it does have the same rims my car had on it when it came over from japan that i regret selling and i think were an option for the cars from new.

Last edited:

fuel

could it be possible that the front bumper has been swapped before it came into the country, due to previous accident damage? given that it has the vented bonnet (unless that's been put on at a later date??) shouldn't it have the extra vents on the bumper? I always thought they went as a set, like peas in a pod ya know.

also, I think what the Mitsubishi brochure is saying, is that the RS *can* be available in 4WS (which makes it an E39A, even though it would have wind up windows, air con, vinyl seats, steel wheels usually). I guess no one has seen an E39A RS yet.. perhaps none were ordered at all so none were made? I gather E38As were ordered by the first time buyers rather than have one sitting in the dealership waiting for someone to come along.

there's gotta be a reason Mitsubishi printed all those manuals which state there are RS E39A's.

misterfixit

Ok, you got me! Have edited my earlier post to read correctly. spent an hour this lunch time with kodansha and yup i was wrong on the drivers ed cars!

E37a was also sold a freindee!
but that a whole othere conversation.

Rich

Quoting fuel:
Quoting misterfixit:

Look at the names and chassis codes! vr4 rs is e38a and e39a. but you will also see that e32ar e34ar e37a are 4wd also!

Now else where in the world there were many instances of different drivtrains mated with different bodies. As the next post said E38A refers to CHASSIS, but also to engine SIZE only. Ie e38a =2000cc 4wd, e39a = 2000cc 4wd 4ws, e37a = 1836cc 4wd e35a = 1836cc 2wd.

Am just being real picky here, but E34A is 4D65 1800cc Diesel Turbo and not AWD, and E32AR is a FWD driver training vehicle in Japan with dual pedals etc, same goes with E34AR.

E37A (MS-4) is a AWD version of the E32A, which has the 1755cc 4G37 (not 1836cc which is the 4G67) engine.

E39A was the chassis designation given to non turbo AWD 4G63 DOHC models (ie MX-4/VX-4) in Japan also, as they had 4WS.

misterfixit

Ok, you got me! Have edited my earlier post to read correctly. spent an hour this lunch time with kodansha and yup i was wrong on the drivers ed cars!

E37a was also sold a freindee!
but that a whole other conversation.

Rich

Quoting fuel:
Quoting misterfixit:

misterfixit

Here are your cars in caps:

And the 92. snpf4 that was mentioned earlier.

And just to reinforce the point of the e39as being the poor relation heres the first page of the homologation papers. All the homologation papers refer to is e39a all the way through, group a and group n.

It would be good for mrgravel to chime in here as he has a works rally car, and up to two weeks ago had two. They I believe are e39a.

As for fluke from the factory, both your cars are listed in the production records as having hood vents and the extra vent in the bumper.

The wheels on the car are Yokohama Advan, "rally" i believe is the name, but probably wrong on that one. don't believe they were a factory option

Rich

Quoting NZ VR4 RS:
i should of been clearer, i didnt think any one would think that a fwd or non turbo car was an rs vr4.

i didnt think i was taking credit for the brochure but stating i have had it on my site for about 7 years and yes i did get it from g force.

a factory 4wd turbo galant with an E38a chassis code is an rs galant not a e39a chassis code.

here is my chassis code
E38A-0002192

when was that made, it has the 4 bolt rear end with a plate lsd.

cplate.jpg

i happen to have a e39a sitting in my back yard that we just stripped for bits, its got the 4 bolt and all the stuff you think "rs" e39a have.

it aint a rs they are all white for a start this one is black.

i fact i have another late model rs in my garage right now , funny its white as well and has a e38a chassis code.

must be a fluke from the factory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

fuel

I found this supposed 'RS' on Trademe - click

Looked up the plate on Carjam and it came back with the chassis number of E39A-0015997

So this guy is claiming he has an '89 RS E39A effectively - I'm at work currently and don't have access to CAPS until I get home, anyone able to confirm whether it is a genuine RS?

fuel

also mrfixit thanks for all those pictures you've posted - was good to know which model 6G jap Galants came with which transmission exactly. Do you happen to have anything similar for the jap model 7Gs?

Thanks!

misterfixit

Strangely 7gs are not that popular here . havn't dropped on anything informationwise for them online.

i do have the technical information manual for the 7g though.

anyways the trademe is jus a regular 89.10 220ps vr4
here:

vr4rs badge shows "no data"

Rich

RedTwo

It's supposed to be a 8911.1 VR4 with the 000 "poverty pack". So it's the very base model with full electrics, open rear diff, etc. So not very close to a SNPF4 at all.

Misterfixit Are you using Euro CAPS? English would be a nice language to use sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fuel

Either the plates don't belong to that vehicle, or he is falsely advertising it as an RS then.

He's also got an immaculate standard Evo 0 also, selling for $12500 hahah.

misterfixit

Its JDm caps, but the part numbers/screens and partnames etc are returned in english. (when i installed it ages ago it gave me the option). the images are still in japanese (windows you select from).
Do have euro, us and general caps. (general covers oz, nz, hk, Gcc and south america).

Rich

Quoting RedTwo:
It's supposed to be a 8911.1 VR4 with the 000 "poverty pack". So it's the very base model with full electrics, open rear diff, etc. So not very close to a SNPF4 at all.

Misterfixit Are you using Euro CAPS? English would be a nice language to use sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedTwo

Hrmph I don't think I got that option :/
Actually I don't think there was a setup/install program - I d/l it off that russian site it's V3.50 to your V2.61.
It must be an option somewhere - what's in your WINCAPS.ini and CAPS.inf?

misterfixit

caps.inf
"261980529000000"
WinCaps.ini
"[T_UOE]
mode=0

[PrintOut]
FontSize=12
FontName=System"

Rich

misterfixit

Here's the brochure scans for the first VR-4rs. Only available as e38a. 88.02
Just finished stitching the scans as they are a bit bigger than A4

Now if anyone has the last vr4rs brochure (with lancer RS as well), please scan and post away!

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned