The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is this piston still good?

ducttapeguy

I bought a set of pistons off a board member a while back and a guy down in Rochester was supposed to build a motor for me but that fell through. I just got my pistons back on Saturday and the only one that was unwrapped had these dings on it. Is it still usable? If not do I just have to buy a new piston or can it be fixed?

Thanks
Tyler

Brianawd

its still usable. Just knock down any high spots with a file and smooth out with sand paper. Those marks are most likley from the piston being tossed around on a work bench.

bazeng

Doesn't look too bad.
Just bog it up with body filler.. haha

As above, give it a rub with very fine emery paper or sand paper.
Make sure you either mask up the rings or remove prior to sanding. Blow / clean thoroughly after done.

If you wanted, you could even send them away to get ceramic coated.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned