The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Injectors being emo (maybe?)

Getting voltage through the line to #1 (started it with #1 unplugged, since it's not spraying anyway, read volts at 4.5v or so)! Surely it means the injector is bad or clogged? I'm going with bad, since it was wishy washy up until about a month ago...somewhat temp sensitive and would cut in and out like it was electrical and not some gunk.

toybreaker

iconoclast
What's the resistance across the injector coil?

I guess that'd be the million dollar question, haha. Cody hooked me up with his old 450's (thanks, dude!), but I will check the one in question before pulling it...how many ohms are we lookin for?? Infinity or some extremely huge number means the injector is screwed, right? Grounded or frayed wire can't handle the current, resistance goes up accordingly at a constant voltage. Ohm's Law.

I suppose I could just pull #2's pigtail and compare the resistance on the injectors. I'll do all this tonight.

PS - Assuming I get this puppy running, hope to see you CO guys at Clement Park next weekend; I'll bring my ECU for you to look at better than the pics above. Once I get that done, I'll figure out how to return your spare (thanks again on that).

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Good to hear you're making progress. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's cool to see all the Colorado guys working well together, and Cody and Gary deserve a special thanks for their help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Hope to see you at the meet!

Not a problem on using the injectors, Tim. I'm glad that I can help!

Keep us posted on what you find!

I hope to see you at the meet as well!

I got no reading off the injector as far as resistance...open circuit. Got the fuel rail popped off and the injector in question removed (all rubber intact) with a minimum spillage of gas (much easier than I expected). I'm guessing I'll want to wash the engine off before going too far in the car. Which should cause fewer problems now that all the sensor and injector connectors have dielectric grease on them!

Gonna swap fuel filter and possibly all four injectors (unless there's no reason to, since the other three are fine, but another friend suggested doing that). Should know tomorrow night if that was our problem...can't work on it tonight, unfortunately. Which sucks, cuz if it rains again, I'll have to arrive wet at work on the motorcycle again tomorrow. :b

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
I got no reading off the injector as far as resistance...open circuit.

I think you found the problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
I'm guessing I'll want to wash the engine off before going too far in the car.

Isn't that how all the trouble started? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously, just wipe up the spilled fuel, and the rest will just evaporate off.

Just don't do a spark test with the plugs out, and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Gonna swap fuel filter and possibly all four injectors (unless there's no reason to, since the other three are fine, but another friend suggested doing that).

If the injectors are the one from Cody's car, I'd just toss the lot in. They were all known good, as his car ran damn well on them.

Make sure to check the last chance screens in the injector inlets, and clean them as necessary.

Quote:
I'll have to arrive wet at work on the motorcycle again tomorrow. :b

Owning a vr4 builds character, don't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's running all four again after replacing injector #1!!!! Woohoo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Muchos garcias to everyone who's given aid (especially those who provided material assistance).

I re-read the bad one after pulling it off, and got 3600 ohms. The "new" ones read 2.5 ohms. Must've been grounded out on the car.

Yeah, I let it sit overnight before replacing the one injector, it drove fine to work (the smoke must've been the exhaust manifold leak). I'll do the other three and filters tomorrow night when I've set aside time for working on it, and check that area for contaminant particles. Like rust.

Quote:
Owning a vr4 builds character, don't it?

Well, I s'pose it does. Particularly when you don't own another car (not for much longer...got a classic convertible lined up and ready to buy).

Thanks again, everyone. I'll see you CO peeps on Sunday at Clement Park!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned