The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I want better brakes

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting turbophein:
so our cars calipers are good, we just need the outlander brackets and rotors to work? is that what i just read?

This obviously does not increase clamping force or pad area, just increases swept area and of course greater mass and surface area for heat transfer.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting turbophein:
what can we do for the rears?

my right rear caliper starts squealing with any hard type of breaking for a minute or so, pretty sure it is sticking slightly, i had a hard time turning it back in when i repainted my rear subframe.

Other than getting better pads, there is not much you can do for the rear as there currently is not a way to use other calipers and retain the e-brake function. Someone did swap out the rear-trailing arms and such to be able to run the 3000GT brakes in the rear aswell. Appears to be too much of a hassle.

If you upgrade your calipers and rotors, don't cheap out on the pads as you won't see much of a gain. Get some R4-S pads if street driven.

I had Corvette calipers on the HKS 1g that I had before. I will be putting Evo Brembos on the 2g I just aquired. Luckily for the 2g, the Evo Brembos just bolt in.

I have Portefield R4-S pads on my Galant and it bites. I had them on the 2g I had before and also in the 05 STi I use to own, 89 MX6 GT Turbo 4WS that I use to own. Really great pad in my opinion. I will be getting a set for my Evo when the time comes for new pads again. I bought Stop Techs the last time around and they are just okay for DD but don't bite nowhere as good as the Porterfields

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

If there's interest I can get my buddy to make some brackets for the wilwood handbrake caliper. One of my buddies just did a full wilwood setup on 362/1000 (BSL6 fronts, BSL4 rear) and we had to build a bracket to add a parking brake caliper. I'd use a hydraulic handbrake if you wanted to use it for turning type shenanigans, but it can definitely be done. Been meaning to do a photoshoot with him to get pictures of the whole setup but I've been busy with my own car.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting KiNgMaRtY:

If you upgrade your calipers and rotors, don't cheap out on the pads as you won't see much of a gain. Get some R4-S pads if street driven.

I had Corvette calipers on the HKS 1g that I had before. I will be putting Evo Brembos on the 2g I just aquired. Luckily for the 2g, the Evo Brembos just bolt in.

I have heard great things about the R4-S on other forums as well. I may try them as I need new front pads on the DD.

I don't believe the Evo brembos "bolt on" a 2g unless you have the JDM galant knuckles with the proper bolt spacing. You have to have adapter brackets and do some machining. I don't like how most of the hacks cut the knuckles on their 2g vehicles. BTW, not to steal the thread, but I have a full set of Evo 8 Brembos available. If you are interested, pm me.

KiNgMaRtY

I just purchased some Brembos calipers yesterday. The rear is basically a bolt on ordeal with the Brembo calipers (plus Evo rotors/pads) just need to mod the dust shield so allow the rotors room. The front does require a bracket and a little bit of grinding on the caliper and knuckle. No need to get different knuckles though

click

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting slugsgomoo:
If there's interest I can get my buddy to make some brackets for the wilwood handbrake caliper. One of my buddies just did a full wilwood setup on 362/1000 (BSL6 fronts, BSL4 rear) and we had to build a bracket to add a parking brake caliper. I'd use a hydraulic handbrake if you wanted to use it for turning type shenanigans, but it can definitely be done. Been meaning to do a photoshoot with him to get pictures of the whole setup but I've been busy with my own car.

That would be great! The GVR-4 community and the 1g DSMers would finally have an option for upgrading the rears and having a parking brake.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

OP....what pads you currently have on the car and when was the last time you flushed the brake fluid?

I would also recommend you go with blank rotors instead of the drilled and/or slotted ones.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned