The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to remove corner lights

I just picked up a pair of clear corners, but I haven't removed the stock ones before. What do I have to do to replace them. TIA

autobahntom

They are only held in by a spring with a kind of hook on it (the hook attaches to the opening in the metal of the car). Once this hook/spring is removed, the lights slide front--to come off the plastic horizontal pins (there are two) that are on the front side of the lights. Sometimes (once the spring is removed) you can use a screwdriver between (GENTLY) the headlight and the corner light to separate them. GENTLY or you can break the headlight lens and/or the corner light.
Did I mention GENTLY with the screwdriver?
Tom

autobahntom

actually, the pins are on the back side of the lights, I said that wrong, but you get the idea I think. The lights hook onto the front and screwdriver (GENTLY) goes between the corner light and paint. Use something plastic if you have it, but a screwdriver works fine. The paint is easy to mess up. Someone else might have another idea which might be better though.
Tom

Romanova

Take it super slow the first time you do it. Unhook the spring. Then, what I do is, press the lamp towards the car(slight pressure) and pull it towards me(forward). Done!
Did you get the two bulb corners or the one bulb corners? If you have the one bulb corners and they have the amber inserts in them, don't run them all the time... the bulbs will melt the amber and then they will explode. Mine did this, so I simply knocked the amber insert loose with a screw driver, then used cutters to cut up the amber piece. Works great now... and looks better than the US corners too.
grin.gif

Hertz

Staff member
quote:Originally posted by Romanova:
If you have the one bulb corners and they have the amber inserts in them, don't run them all the time... the bulbs will melt the amber and then they will explode.No sh*t? Why would that happen? Do the corners have a different function in Japan that would not be used all the time?

Romanova

I believe they are turn signals in Japan. Removing the amber insert is super easy though... but I don't believe they make an amber 1156 bulb.

Yeah, I got the single bulb ones. I was thinking about just removing the amber part also. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice guys.

Hertz

Staff member
Ah, well that solves it then, I'll turn my corners into turn signals. I was wanting to do that. I think our US setup is dangerous -- vehicles on our sides can't see us signaling. Heh, was wondering why those things were so bright.
smile.gif

BTW, the "JDM" corners without the amber sleeve are "Euro" corners.

My orange corner lights don't last long at all. They're the only bulbs on the car that blow out. Next time I find a set at the junkyard, I think I'm going to convert them to luxeon stars.

As for the white section of the corner light, I special ordered some brighter (10 watts I think) bulbs. They worked out nicely and are actually bright enough that I once drove 30 miles down the highway at night before realizing I didn't have my headlights on. If anyone wants the part number, ask and I'll dig em up.

Mark

trexn8

I'm curious what the part number is if you can find it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts