The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how many of yall daily your gvr4

Chi271

It's my daily, while my 99 Gsx is the garage queen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vr4play

I DD 816 from 1998 until 2009 or 2010. I bought my wife a minivan and I got her Volvo. Turbo, automatic trans, and A/C that worked and I was sold. Didn't help that the engine lost a balance shaft bearing and it sat for a year, fixed it and the power steering quite working 2 weeks later. Let it sit for another year and started feeling bad cause my near perfect body now has rust everywhere. I had it sitting behind my garage on concrete and apparently that is a bad idea. I was sinking all my money into the race car and didn't have time for it. Got the power steering fixed and the battery died so it sat for another year. Just got it running again as it was my backup to go to the shootout if I didn't finish the engine in the race car. I now drive it about twice a month just because but plan on diving it all through the winter. Fresh set of snows and it should be good to go. It needs a lot of work from sitting but I just don't have the time anymore. She has 265k on the clock, the trans shifts like poo, the suspension makes all kinds of new noises and the tune needs finished so I can get more that 15 miles per gallon but it's still going.

ade

all i wanna do is daily mine, if only it'll let me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have been daily driving 828 since 2011. Last three weeks commuting between Michigan and Illinois every week (about 1000 miles each week with driving to work every day). Not let me down yet, and getting about 24 mpg. It shakes a bit at 75, but I think I have a flat spotted tire.

turbohf

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif... i keep getting ~17mpg.

vtecds1

I've been dd mine for the past 6 months since my truck and civic are not driveable. Gas mileage is ok as I tend to drive like a grandma. One weird thing though...for the first time since i owned the car i surprisingly seen 15gals. It would of kept going if i didnt stop the pump out of fear of the gas overflowing.

turbohf

mine did 15.1 on last fillup... was surging about a block from the station and coasted in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

galantrevolution

I do mine, love it when I'm driving next to a honda and just show off my turbo with the loud hks,

cheekychimp

I gave up driving a Civic to daily mine. There was a lot of down time before that repairing one thing or another but once I got everything fixed it proved to be just as reliable. Mitsuturbo mentioned being worried about daily driving the car in case he got hit. I can sympathize with that as my last VR4 was totalled after a taxi rear ended it. I also understand that these cars are getting more difficult to find which is sort of ironic because it was only a few years ago I was thinking how the VR4 would be much cheaper to replace if I ever did have an accident.

NYC86ZC

I DD mine too, but I have 2 back up cars; 05 wrx and 02 suburban z71. Lately DD just entails driving it to the train station and back home again. Today I drove it in to work. It's a bit scary as it's a 100 mile round trip venture to downtown NYC.

turbowop

I've never been to NYC, but from seeing video and pics of what traffic is like, lack of parking, etc, I would never take my GVR4 in the city, let alone any other nice car. I think I would just own beaters for driving around.

NYC86ZC

Traffic is horrible on weekdays. Weekends are much better. It only took me about an hour each way to do 50 miles. So, it wasn't too bad.

I snapped a pic of this today. It's close. I've seen the 4g63 one a few times walking around midtown for my job, but it is elusive.

The road goes to the left and Battery Park is to my left, but if you could go right at the light(one way) that's where they have the ticker tape parades at the canyon of heroes.

click

I used to DD my old gvr4 too, #761. Neither one has ever left me stranded, but they have had issues that forced me to fix them on the side of the road at 3am. I hate saying this, but I've never called a tow truck.

cheekychimp

This s another thing I have discussed a lot with people over here. Part of the attraction of driving a VR4 over her now is that they don't get stolen, not even for parts. I feel completely safe leaving the VR4 anywhere.

raptorWagon

Quoting pudge76:
got any left over partS

Nope! Scrapped 1350 in 2011 (excluding the seats saved for another forum member).

turbohf

Quoting cheekychimp:
This s another thing I have discussed a lot with people over here. Part of the attraction of driving a VR4 over her now is that they don't get stolen, not even for parts. I feel completely safe leaving the VR4 anywhere.

my civic that probably has half as much money spent on it is permanently parked inside, Galant is outside, and never worry that anything more than my subwoofer will be stolen. not that it stops me from driving the Civic places, but it doesnt get left outside where it cant be monitored. hell i had an Integra Type R before the VR4 that i daily drove. still spent too much timing thinking about how its doing alone out there in the world... i know the Galant is safe with the doors locked.

turbowop

Quoting cheekychimp:

Normally I would agree. I kept 503 outside and not a damn thing happened to that car, nor did I worry about it. 1051 though kinda stands out. I won't leave that thing in any parking lot where I'll be away for more than a 1/2hr or so. I think thieves like things like BBS wheels and Sparco seats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noes.gif

DynastyLCD

881 has been on DD duty since i bought it as a shell back in march. had a drivetrain installed the very next day.

prior to that, i've been DD'ing my 1g DSM. same reliability factor, just not as comfortable to drive compared to the GVR4. realistically, i have been DD'ing either one of my 1g's or GVR4 the past 4 years straight.

pudge76

also need it for the winter snow out here in flagstaff az, all my freinds call my car a rice rocket? but they really dont know what i got here been proud of 271/2000 since i got it when i was 17 , lucky kid i was, kind of think about it i must be the youngest owner driving one of these

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned