The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Honda half core

turbowop

Quoting transparentdsm:
Quoting turbowop:
That makes no sense. The coolant is much cooler at the bottom of the radiator than it is at the thermostat housing. Having that sensor in the thermostat housing should completely change the point at which the fan kicks on.

wouldn't it be hotter at the bottom? doesn't the flow of coolant go from the water pump, through the water pipe, to the bottom of the rad, out the top of the rad, through the thermostat, then back into the block and finally at the water pump again?

the sensor isn't bad as i have it back in the bottom of my rad and it works just the same as before and its practically brand new, maybe 11,000 miles on it.

What Sluggs said. And also to correct him...

The lower radiator switch turns the fan on when coolant at the bottom of the radiator hits 185F, and back off again when it cools to 172F...

94525e3350f0573.jpg

So with that same temp switch at the thermostat housing, where temps stay above 190+F once fully warmed up, it should always be "on", meaning the fan should run constantly once the car has warmed up. I'm not sure why yours' didn't do that.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

that is the wildest thing ever. i really dont know how the heck the car stayed warm while i was sitting at idle or for that matter how the fans were able to turn on and off and not stay on constantly. thank you for the information. i love this site. you learn something new every day.

prove_it

Thanks for not starting a big drama argument.. Joking.

Yea, that's why I'm on here all the time. Even as a master tech I still learn new things from everyone. Lots of mature chats and knowledge.

swe_gvr4_1991

I took the stock lower rad sensor and put in the place the upper A/C thermoswitch was on the thermostat cover. Perfect fit and works great.

transparentdsm

Quoting prove_it:
Thanks for not starting a big drama argument.. Joking.

Yea, that's why I'm on here all the time. Even as a master tech I still learn new things from everyone. Lots of mature chats and knowledge.

here are my thoughts on big drama arguments that happen on the internet. this may seem kind of harsh to some, but winning a internet fight is like winning the special olympics, it doesn't matter because your all retarded. and this is what i think of every time i see an argument happen on any forum. (sorry if that offened anyone)

im no master tech, but i have been working on cars for a long time and these cars specifically. up until recently i have never really had any cooling issues with any 4g63 motors and never looked into how the whole system works. to be honest my head was completely backwards on how the whole thing goes. i thought that the direction that the thermostat opened was the direction of flow for the coolant.

prove_it

Nope, and if you think about it, that's why the upper hose is hotter than the lower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Coolant must cool the block down first as that's the major source of heat. The head gets cooled second as there is less heat there to be removed. I once thought the same as you did.

When you had your lower rad sensor in the thermo housing what temp thermostat were you using? By all logic your fans should have been on all the time. It's really got me curious.

Diego

Quoting swe_gvr4_1991:
I took the stock lower rad sensor and put in the place the upper A/C thermoswitch was on the thermostat cover. Perfect fit and works great.

So take the one from the bottom an out it in the ac location. Then use the threaded plastic insert in the bottom of the radiator.

Diego

transparentdsm

Quoting prove_it:
Nope, and if you think about it, that's why the upper hose is hotter than the lower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Coolant must cool the block down first as that's the major source of heat. The head gets cooled second as there is less heat there to be removed. I once thought the same as you did.

When you had your lower rad sensor in the thermo housing what temp thermostat were you using? By all logic your fans should have been on all the time. It's really got me curious.

i was using a 180* and i still currently am. this has got me so puzzled. im thinking about putting another sensor in the a/c spot so when i switch back and forth from the lower rad to the top of the thermostat housing can see whats happening. just need to pull my parts bin apart and look for one.

prove_it

I think the 180 thermo might be why. With a 190 thermo it would be hot enough to trip the switch constantly. What was your coolant mixture at the time?

transparentdsm

Quoting Diego:
Quoting swe_gvr4_1991:

So take the one from the bottom an out it in the ac location. Then use the threaded plastic insert in the bottom of the radiator.

Diego

all i did when i changed rads was pull my old one out, put the sensor in the A/C spot, remount the fan, then reconnect the upper and lower hoses, fill with coolant and start burping the system.

Diego

You had to extend the harness....no?^^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

transparentdsm

no, but at the same time i had to cut that harness as the stock 6 pin wasn't getting connection so i used a dsm 4 pin looped the fan resistor wires and i think it gave me a few more inches. worst case just add a few inches to each of the wires. its only 2

Diego

What drain petcock are you using? I tried a Mitsu and a Honda drain petcock.
They won't thread....

Can I use a bolt, or anyone have a suggestion?

Diego

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned