The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

high idle

OK, so i did this procedure:
Quoting turbowop:
Quoting wasabiz45:
As for their lines that were previously there, where do those route to/from?

You want the ones I circled below in red. #32 connects to the thermostat housing and #33 to a nipple on the water pipe. The pic shows how both of them route.

I checked the wires leading to the sensor, Turns out that the original connector was probably bad and this new connector took its place. I had to sodder and heat shrink them since they were just twisted and taped. I got some new lines and reconnected the deleted hoses. Idles like a champ. you guys are the sh*t!

Last edited by a moderator:

boostedinaz

Quoting strokin4dr:
Quoting turbowop:
Idle surge and other idle issues are a huge pet-peev of mine,

+ 1000!!!
Is seems like every racer-boy DSMer that I meet around here has a car that is searching for idle, and they seem to think nothing is wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

+2000

HATE HATE HATE messed up idle.

turbowop

My favorite idle issue is surge. Nothing like pulling up to a drive thru window with the car going "vroooom vrooom vrooooooom vrooom vrooom vrooooooom vroom vrrrommmm". Add lifter tick and the person handing you your food is really going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Another alternative to blocking off the FAIV with JBWeld: I was recently reading a post by Sam at RRE, and he debunked the whole "wax bead in the FAIV" thing. But, the neat thing in his post is that there is a freeze plug that you can remove on the FAIV that gives you access to the adjustment to the FAIV. You can try just turning it in a little, to reduce the amount of air it is bypassing, or you could turn it in the whole way, which would keep it from working. If I had known the FAIV was adjustable I may have tried that first, especially if I lived in a colder climate. After years of use, the FAIV just gets out of wack, and needs turned in a little I suppose.

turbowop

Really? I'll have to open one up the next time I have a spare and check that out. Pulling the freeze plug was how I JBwelded mine in the first place.

Now if I could just figure out the idle issue on my Toyota 3.4l. Whenever I come to a stop the idle sits at 1600rpm until I give it a little blip, then it comes down to where it should be.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned