The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Headlight levelling Servo (3wire type)

misterfixit

As with pretty much all of mitsubishi's old electornics in these and their sister cars. The adage change your caps really applies.

Here was the last job I did on the Lancer but the servo is used on late (1992/1993 cars) and others.

The servo takes a power feed and an earth. The 3rd wire is voltage source that sits at stepped levels. The sender switch has a bank of 4 resistors and at the junction of each it effectively creates five steps from 0v to 12v (4 heights for the headlights +0).

When I set the system up the one headlight was working, and servo'd correctly, the other didn't. If you go to the back of the headlight you can see the servo module and it can be removed.
Here it is after I took it off and took it to bits:IMG_0771.JPG
It took a bit of fiddling to seperate the board, but there were a couple of leaky capacitors and the damage from them to rectify. Here is the board separated:
Stanley S-8959A.jpg
It's a dual sided board, but I only have pictures of the one side.
I did make this schematic for those folks that would want to repair the servo. It was largely as an aid memoir. I remeber having to do the usual technique of rebuilding the traces on the top side.
Untitled.jpg
The S8959A is the stanley model number.

Once this was rebuilt an re-assembled the levelling came back to life.

I hope this helps!

Richard

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned