The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head work

Kenny_Kline

Is this what I am going to have to be dealing with? Some kid bent over a disagreement following me around on the forums post after post? You stick to the internet mechanics 101... im going to bed. Enjoy your ARp rod bolts.

-lata

prove_it

Quoting 1sicvr4:
Well Ive got 272 cams that I want to chuck into my vr4. Now I know I'm gonna be outta my league when it comes to installing them so I'm gonna leave it to the professionals and probably have to fork out a nice little sum in labor costs while I'm at it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif What else can I get done at the same time that would save me time and money in the long run? I was thinking maybe valve springs and retainers are they really needed tho? I'm not planning on going past 8000rpms but I did read somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong) that aftermarket valve springs can add some nice HP which I'm all for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Heres what has been/will be done to my vr4 before the cams are installed and when tunings done.

Evo3 big16g turbo
Evo3 exhaust manifold (with external wastegate port)
38mm external wastegate
Evo4 510cc yellow top injectors (Will be going bigger)
Evo2 Air Flow Meter(MAF)
Custom intake pipe behind headlight
2.5inch intercooler piping
550x230x100 intercooler
Walbro 500hp fuel pump
Fuel pump rewired
Sard afpr
Adjustable camgears
Adjustable boost controller
Sheepdog bov
Big Bore exhaust 3" straight off turbo
K&N Pod filter
Custom chip
Apexi neo
Oil catch can

(Probably missed a thing or 2)

Thanks for ur responses

anyways children back to the original post, buying new valve springs is great and cheap insurance for anytime you rebuild the head. BC has a great set that costs about $200. Don't forget you'll probably need to get the head milled plus some machine work for a valve job.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Kenny_Kline:
Is this what I am going to have to be dealing with? Some kid bent over a disagreement following me around on the forums post after post? You stick to the internet mechanics 101... im going to bed. Enjoy your ARp rod bolts.

-lata

**cough** thekid **cough**

slugsgomoo

It's funny, I went and checked the times at dsmtimes.org and I couldn't find one of these two keyboard warriors on the list, much less the top 10 fastest GVR-4's in the world.

Shame on you brummel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

bigblock4g63

not taking sides but that means nothing. there are lots of people going fast and dont post there times.

CarRacer

I'll be taking my head in this week for a valve job. My machinist wants $175 for that.

I wouldn't be too intimidated by installing cams. You would need a torque wrench though. It is a nice excuse to buy tools if you need one.

bigblock4g63

ita always good to have one around. i have done it with and without one

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quality head work is worth the cost in some cases. Maybe not so important on our forced induction engines, but normally aspirated cars make their power depending on how well the head is prepared.

A good valve job alone is worth horsepower. Mark Donahue proved such and wrote about it in the "Unfair Advantage."

Kenny_Kline

Sorry if I didnt make the top times to meet your expectations. I didnt know my internet personality was up for being judged. All are welcome to come play. Lucky me, what I am best at isnt racing. Judge my character after you have tried to hang out with me for one day. 99.5% of this board couldnt keep up with my daily routine.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting 14u2nV:
Quoting Kenny_Kline:

At the minimum, you should do a valve job. The valve job includes cleaning, resurfacing, new seals, setting the valves, springs, locks, etc. installs the cams... basically head is 100% ready to bolt it and is new! If you have the cash, invest into your head. In this order, I would go with springs/retainers (single spring is fine), revised lifters, bronze valve guides, +1mm over sized valves.

-What is a typical cost of all of this?

Kenny, there's a great/cheap place near downtown that does very good work. I had a few 4g heads done by them and never ended up spending more than 200. One head had a 3 angle valve job, the other even needed welding.

Let me know if you need their contact info.

Brianawd

Quote:
Kenny_Kline

Hey you do know I am just f***ing with you. I just like to stir things up around here. It makes the board more fun.

steve

OK boys there is an easy way to settle this. Whoever has the largest mitsu logo on their car is the winner.

Rausch

^ Yeah, and no Photochopping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop

Quoting steveVR4:
OK boys there is an easy way to settle this. Whoever has the largest mitsu logo on their car is the winner.

Brian wins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Brianawd

I WIN I WIN I WIN I WIN

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarRacer

Why did you put a diamond star logo on a Toyota Camry?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting Kenny_Kline:
99.5% of this board couldnt keep up with my daily routine.

I can!!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned