The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

head difference

solidviper89

I don't know specifics... But 6bolt heads have bigger ports(higher flow)

2g 7bolt heads have better angle into cylinder(?), smaller port makes higher velocity, makes more torque...

I have zero first hand experience, this is just from things I have read. Dsmtuner's has a few threads on the differences; i'm sure someone with actual knowledge can chime in.

Barnes

SV, I think you are confusing a 7-bolt head with a 2g head. 7-bolt heads have the same ports as 6-bolt heads. 2g heads have the smaller ports which are generally better, or people use 2g heads as cores because you can do a raised runner style and get a better angle into the valve.

The differences I can think of are A)Small head bolt holes and B)The far left and right exhaust manifold studs are 10mm instead of 8mm. You can use a 7-bolt head on a 6-bolt engine IF you have the head bolt holes bored out to accommodate the larger 6-bolt head bolts or studs.

solidviper89

Yea I meant that... the 7bolt head that came on 2g's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 95+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know that some 1g's got the 7bolt, but i always remember it as 2g dsm's have the 7bolt.

fuel

Lancer Evo 1, which is a 7 bolt engine has the smaller ports too. They were around in 1992.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts